Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe eating ALL CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I was having this problem for days, so I decided to restore my laptop back to factory install, updated all xp sps, installed my virus prottection etc. That was 3 hours ago and again, the svchost.exe is eating up ALL CPU and I keep crashing.

What the heck is going on here?

I've tried downloading a few MS hotfixes, I have run the process monitor tool and all things running under svchost.exe are all Microsoft! I do not have any viruses and this is literally a brand new installation of xp Pro.

There are a couple worms that create fake svchost.exe processes that do weird things (welchia and blaster maybe - if I remember correctly). Try doing a full scan, maybe use an online tool since your resident AV isn't catching anything:

If svchost.exe is in C:\Windows it's a virus. The real svchost.exe should be in C:\Windows\System32.

I'm having a similar problem...I believe it's related to Windows Updates. If I stop the Automatic Windows Updates service it doesn't use the CPU.

Read for more info.

Thanks,

---------------------------------------
Matthew Collins
---------------------------------------

The problem is with Microsoft Updates.

Go to Windows Update, once there on the left hand side you will see "Change Settings", click on that and scroll down towards the bottom and you will see "To stop using Microsoft Update", click the check box and click "Apply Changes Now" and click "Yes" to continue. You should see a message that says "You have successfully disabled the Microsoft Update software on your computer." Close that web page, reboot and go back to Windows Update, it will ask you to reinstall the Windows Update, reinstall and your SVCHOST should be back to normal.

I had JUST reformatted my laptop back to the factory DVD. How could a virus cause this?

I disabled the auto-downloads from Microsoft and it's not an issue anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back