Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe - application error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
Monday morning when I turned on this PC I received an error. The operating system is XP PRO and has all service packs and updates. It is a 64 bit AMD and an Asus 64 bit board. The error is a windows pop up error for svchost.exe - application errors. It reads: The instruction at 0x77e61d24 referenced memory at 0x00000007. The memory could not be "read".

I switched memory, but that did not do anything. I am thinking it is a corrupt file or something in the Operating system and not hardware maybe. Any ideas??

I do not like this at all. Any greater detail in your Event Viewer logs?

. First, examine what SVCHOST is loading to make sure there is no malware entry:
. Second, if all the processes loaded by SVCHOST seem legitimate, then Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

Check Event Viewer to see any result(s).

. Third, do a real RAM test for an extended period, as faulty RAM is a known cause of this error. Either of these will do the job:

I tried an extensive memory and motherboard test. all checked out ok. I did find elsewhere on the Internet that this has something to do with ASUS Probe. There are two other small errors that come up when you close out the "memory can not read" error and they read as
"AsGetDmi kernal driver cannot load" and "can't load AsmiHwIo.dll". I did a search on those and I got results relating to ASUS Probe, but their ides on fixing them are none.

Start, Run, services.msc
See if the ASUS probe is a service. If so, stop it and set it to disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back