Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe - Application error

Status
Not open for further replies.

daml

Technical User
Aug 7, 2007
CA
I'm getting this message at startup on my XP Pro PC. The rest of the message reads:
"The instruction at 0x00401000 referenced memory at 0x00401000. The memory could not be written"

I went thru the routine to "Verify and configure your Windows Update Service Settings" in services.msc and "Re-configured WIndows Update DLLs", but it has not helped.

I also downloaded & installed WindowsUpdateAgent & WindowsXP-KP927891, to no avail.

Every time I start the PC, up comes the message.

I can't be sure, but I don't think I was getting this message before upgrading to Service Pack 3.

Do you think I should uninstall SP3?

Try Safe Mode and see if the error is there. Try Normal Mode but as another user and see if it occurs.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

A Description of Svchost.exe (Q314056)

As you step through the various troubleshooting steps you may reach a point where uninstalling SP3 is a valid option.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back