Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe - application error, "0x745f2780" referenced memory at &qu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonuteklists

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
On this XP PC, after trying to install Blurberry, things started to go haywire. Now I am unable to open any applications.

After installing Blueberry, it would boot and login, but after that it would freeze. I went into last known good config and removed the application. Now, it will boot, login, but will not open any application. If I try to open any application, it will freeze and I get the following messages,

"svchost.exe - application error
The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
[with the following options]:
Click OK to terminate the program
Clik cancel to debug the program"

also the following,
Edit,
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Kindly advice. I am simply unable to operate on this PC, open any application.

Thanks.

Will it Start and run correctly in Safe Mode. Can you check out how it runs if you login as any other user in Normal Mode?

If it is a profile problem then this may help.
811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer. You may have to try System Restore while running in Safe Mode.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?) for any of the suggestions below if they fail to start in Normal Mode. SFC only runs in Normal Mode.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back