Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspected PSU Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbaker899

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
When I first setup my PC the video card was a 64Mb Radeon VE/7000, and the system ran fine. However, I decided this card wasn't adequate for my gaming needs and so upgraded to a 128Mb Geforce3 Ti200 - here's where the problem began. After installing this card I started experiencing system lockups when running any 3D application (i.e. any game, 3D Mark benchmarking software, etc.). After much messing around I was able to significantly reduce the number times this would occur by first reducing AGP speed from 4x down to 2x on my old motherboard, then on my new one by increasing the voltage to the AGP slot by 0.1V.

However, recently this old problem resurfaced and I have been suffering these lockups frequently - this happened to coincide with me upgrading from Direct X 8.0a to version 9.0, thus I suspected that my Geforce3 card didn't like DX9. Convinced it would solve the issue I purchased a new graphics card - a 128Mb Radeon 9700 Pro, but unfortunately I still have the same issue. Only now, as well as freezing the system will sometimes lose video signal from the PC or it will just reboot itself.

To be more specific about the actual main error, what happens is that the video just freezes but the sound that was playing at the time will just continue playing. I don't mean really mean looped sound but the sound from that exact moment when the crash occurred just keeps going - hard to describe really. Then of course since the Radeon 9700 went in I have the loss of signal and reboots as well.

Here's what I've pretty much ruled out:

-Motherboard Issue: I've had this problem on two different motherboards now (Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ and Gigabyte GA-7VAXP).
-Graphics Card Issue: Though there was no crashing with my first card I find it highly unlikely that both my Geforce3 and Radeon 9700 are faulty.
-Conflicts: This seems unlikely as I've tried running the system with virtually all other devices removed and still had the problem.
-CPU Issue: I don't think this is the problem as I would expect to be seeing lockups in normal Windows operation in my experience with faulty CPU's, and I've never once had a lockup other than in a game or 3D benchmarking program.
-RAM Issue: I have two 256Mb DDR266 sticks and have tried running one at a time, the problem still occurs.

All this (apart from leaving me very frustrated!), leaves me thinking that perhaps the problem lies with my Power Supply Unit not getting enough power to the Geforce3/Radeon 9700 cards (remember no crashes with older Radeon). My PSU is 300W, which I realise is the minimum recommended for these cards but my thinking is that perhaps I have a sub-standard one? I am thinking of getting a 400W PSU to replace it, and basically the point of my post is to get more opinions/advice based on what I've said before shelling out yet more cash on this!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Okay. First off, I know that this certainly sounds like a hardware problem, but unfortunately the problem could also lie in your software. I would first suggest that you ensure that all system drivers and BIOS updates and Windows Updates have been performed. Secondly, I would use some kind of registry-scanning utility, preferably Norton WinDoctor, to check the Windows registry for errors. Lastly, I would drop the graphic acceleration one notch under the advanced properties for the graphics card in the Device Manager. Also, ensure that any software or driver packages that may still be installed from the old cards has been removed. Beyond that, I would need additional system information to continue, such as operating system, background programs running, etc. But try what's above first and repost. If it's still not running right, we can go from there. Good luck. 8)
-J

I tried multiple driver versions of the Geforce3 card and this didn't help, though the only ATI ones I've used are the latest ones - seems unlikely to be a driver thing since I've had it with two cards? Motherboard chipset drivers (VIA 4in1's) are the latest, though I have also tried older versions.

I've also tried a fresh Windows XP install since I first encountered the issue and this was no help either - ruling anything with the registry I thought? The dropping of the graphic acceleration in device manager has also been tried.

Here's additional info:

Background programs: None - only default Windows processes left running! (and a process for graphics card software)
Athlon XP 1700+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
2 x 256Mb DDR266

Thanks

Have you tried putting your old video card back in? If you have and the problem goes away I would upgrade the PSU.

I was able to borrow a decent 400W PSU, here's how it went:

I left my machine running a game all night without a crash, then after a few minutes of play in the morning a lockup occurred. Upon trying a couple more times, first the machine rebooted, then another lockup.

The PSU I am testing with now is actually a pretty decent one afterall - 400W with 25A on the 12V rail, so this would seem to rule out aPSU problem to me, would you agree?

My thoughts have now turned to the CPU. Though it is not overheating, I have some different HSF's I can try to see if they have any impact, then I can also see about borrowing a CPU for testing.

Another I noticed just before my machine rebooted following the night's testing - the reboot occurrred while in UT2003 with the game paused and some of the menu items began flickering a couple of seconds prior to the reboot. I've been wondering if it's of any significance? Perhaps it may be worth giving the Geforce 3 a go on this PSU as well.

Also my Radeon is actually 9700 standard, not a Pro - Windows is just picking it up as a Pro in device manager incorrectly though clock speeds seem to be as they should when using Sapphire's Redline utility. I have been unable to visit the Sapphire (manaufacturer of board) website unfortunately to see if this an issue. Site is down

Any thoughts?

I'm still leaning toward a PS issue, quite possibly with software/driver issues compounding the problem. Modern video cards draw a lot of power and combined with a processor that draws a lot could be enough to make the PS fall down. But there are several other possibilties. What is the acutal voltage on the +5V output? You can find this in the Gigabyte Utility Manager (if installed) or in the BIOS.

Does Windows event viewer show anything of significance at the time these lockups/reboots occur? Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

By default, XP reboots when a stop error occurs. You can change this behavior by right clicking on My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button, uncheck Automatically restart. This will give you the BSOD if a Stop error occurs and allow you to see what the actual error is. Post back with the error code and any files referenced if it occurs.

If event viewer doesn't show anything and there is no BSOD, this is most likely simply a hardware reset - caused by the power supply.

An update:-

My thoughts about the CPU turned out to be right it would seem - had the machine running games all day w/o incident on a borrowed CPU, so went ahead and got hold of a new one for myself. Thanks a lot for your help!

smah - I checked voltages in the Gigabyte Utility and these seemed to be Ok, also there was nothing of any help in event viewer either unfortunately.

Still, I look to have finally resolved the issue now, thanks again for your help guys!

You might investigate a BIOS flash if a newer version is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back