Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suspect PSU faulty, stays in semi-powered up state ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakkarotto

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB

I have bought a stylish Zorro ATX case which I thought would look good. I had my PC in before and it worked fine for a couple of months.
Now it has gone odd on me, whenever I plug it in it sort of powers up. All the fans start, the CD roms both power up but there's no monitor or HD power. The on/off switch does nothing, so too with the reset button.
My speaker is not connected as the wires are too short (I'll be extending them this evening) so I don't know what errors beeps are occuring.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It does sound like a power supply, possibly. Did you make any changes to your computer hardware before this error began occuring? Maybe you did not push an AGP video card in all the way, or memory not propery seated, processor/heatsink not properly seated?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

I'd add that it could be an issue with your CPU having come unseated during the transfer. ie, the MoBo gets power on, but seems as though it isn't getting past the POST, even to init the video. I've had this issue and resolved it by removing and reseating my CPU (Athlon XP, but I don't know if it matters).

I'd suspect PSU subsequent to this not working, but that's just my .02

Hope it helps,
Nedstar1

For sure, check all your connections (processor, memory, vid card - if have one - any other devices directly connected(pci slots) and drives(hard drives, cdroms, etc), make sure all is connected correctly. If all is correct, is likely the psu or some other faulty hardware. If the only change recently before this was your case/psu, i'd guess it's the power supply. It is highly likely if your case came with a generic brand psu instead fo someone like Antec, Zalman, or Thermaltake, etc.

Stephen [infinity]

I rechecked the CPU and heatsink and it looked like there wasn't enough thermal paste on the contact point (looked like it had all been pushed to the side) also I think the heatsink was on the wrong way round.
I've added some new thermal paste and put the heatsink on the right way round but still nothing. I'm prone to think thats either the CPU is now fried or the PSU which I still need to find a working one to test with.
I'll update again as soon as Ive tested that. I've also ordered another CPU off e-bay, which might solve all my problems (in a perfect world).

Well, in that case, it could be both. By the way, if you purchased your cpu/motherboard already put together that way, then I would seriously consider not purchasing from that vendor again, or at least let them know the problem, and see if they will offer you any refund/discount or something. With the PSU, if it's generic, you'd probably be best off just going ahead and getting a name brand such as Thermaltake or Antec.

Stephen [infinity]

How sure are you that the heatsink was on the wrong way round?
If it was then it is extremely likely a burnt out CPU.
Quite often running a CPU for just 20 seconds like this can burnt it out (the CPU temps would have been very high all this time) I'm quite surprised it has lasted this long.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Did it ever work right in this case? If not, check the stand-offs to make sure there are no shorts.

Look, this may sound wierd, but it worked for me more than once... CLEAR CMOS, some mobo's don't like being moved...

then I would check if the GFX-CARD, is seated correctly, slightly off and you get what you described, NO POST but all fans running...

and do check those stand-offs...

another thing to check... front USB (if you got them) wrong pinning here is also a no POSTer...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back