Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspect I am UnKnowingly Hooked to an Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaFlower

Technical User
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hi, I have a simple dial up modem on my computer, no DSL, no wireless, just dial up but when i do a "netstat /e " in command prompt I find the following results=

C:\Windows\system32>netstat/e
Interface Statistics

Received Sent

Bytes 2575062 1348989
Unicast packets 3457 7316
Non-unicast packets 0 0
Discards 0 0
Errors 0 0
Unknown protocols 0

Should I have a return for Ethernet settings when I never hooked an Ethernet up . I do rent, is it possible one was hooked up to the phone wire outside previously before I moved here? I am just learning about Ethernet and I really don’t know the physical setup so I believe it is possible it could be hooked up outside but not 100% certain.....I also have this software that keeps installing itself even though I keep uninstalling it, until I uninstall it while connected , then it stays uninstalled but will be back installed when I restart the computer; this software is called Nividia n Force Networking Controller and I read somewhere that it can be used for Ethernet synchronizations with a mobile phone, which I also never installed and I do not have any synchronizations with my mobile phone. In fact
I have MobSync blocked in my firewall.
My computer sometimes acts oddly such as windows firewall being disabled, ports being enabled for programs I have blocked, my printer setting changed to being shared when I don’t share it, and so many more things I started keeping lists. Also recently when I do a simple netstat the name of my computer is listed under the foreign address;

C:\Windows\system32>netstat /a

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

my ip address MY COMPUTER NAME listening

My computer name is not supposed to be under foreign address, plus when I just did this netstat , it returned no connections at all even though I am connected to your site typing this and connected to 18 other various sites via google, it just said “”listening”” in all ports , not 'established'.

I do not use a Proxy server.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much.
This is becoming too strange for me, my computer (bought new last year, no one ever used it but me) is not doing what it supposed to be, unless I am just wrong, and therefore I apologize I am not so professional, but I have learned alot about computers, I have taken one class for repair and have started taking computer programming classes at college, I think I know enough that I should not have Ethernet packets being sent and received unless I do have somehow, an Ethernet connection. Thank you.

The data doesn't have to go over the physical layer to show up in the statistics. Any local traffic across localhost/127.0.0.1 and the like will show up.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Thank you Grenage for your reply. I wish you could have told me more. Such as why is my computer name is being shown as a foreign address in netstat?

I am a somewhat a newbie, but from all I have read when a person does a netstat on their own computer it is so they can see their network connections. I do know whatever website traffic I am connected to will show up but that does not explain why I have an Ethernet connection to something obviously. When I never installed an Ethernet.

As much as I appreciate your help I have not learned anything from your reply and it does not address my issues.
What does "The data doesn't have to go over the physical layer to show up in the statistics. Any local traffic across local host/127.0.0.1 and the like will show up." mean anyway other than any website traffic will show up , of course I know that but that is not what I have pleaded for help in this request, my request was to learn why ; am I a foreign address in my own computer, why don’t I have established connections when I am connected, why does an Ethernet connection show up when I do netstat/ e when I do not have Ethernet?
Below are the beautiful Ethernet statistics for today on my computer that does not have an Ethernet connection, at least it is not supposed to;

C:\Windows\system32>netstat/e
Interface Statistics

Received Sent

Bytes 437979 352579
Unicast packets 510 2674
Non-unicast packets 0 0
Discards 0 0
Errors 0 2
Unknown protocols 0

C:\Windows\system32>

I apologize about my frustration to you when you only wanted to fill me in on what you know, but if you know what I really need to know please help me. I am tired of having to spend hours connecting to my computer because one day it does one thing, the next day it does another; I am tired of knowing someone's computer I don’t know about is obviously receiving data from mine thru an Ethernet connection.
The only way a netstat/e returns an Ethernet statistic is if it has an Ethernet connection to it. I never installed Ethernet, I never even knew about it until I started inquiring my computer possibly being hooked up to another.

No one is helping me, unless I hire someone which right not is sad to say I cannot afford and that is why I am frustrated, I apologize again, but this is just too many posts I have placed in too many forums and I just can’t seem to find help.

Your reply , as I said , as kind as it is , is implying all I have mentioned is normal, my computer name being in the foreign computer list where foreign computers should be is normal?
Me having an Ethernet connection when I do not have Ethernet is normal?
If that is the case please fill me in more, maybe I am misinformed, if you are not sure than please tell me that, because I do not want to think that your answer explains my concerns and there is nothing to inquire further if that is not the case.
Thank you and I hope you have a great Saturday night,
Seaflower

IP connections which go down the stack and up again without going below Layer3 are showing you the source and destination addresses as "Local" and "Foreign".

If you didn't learn anything from Grenage's reply, that's not Grenage's fault, it's yours.

OK try this! disconnect from the internet.
perform a netstat /e

type in:

ping 127.0.0.1

You will get 4 received packets and 0 lost. This is because the ping is pinging it's self.

Now perform a netstat /e again

you should notice the number increase a small amount this amount is the data that you just pasted by performing the ping.

now do this...

netstat /r

this is your routing table. Under interface you will see you have an Network Interface that is connected it will be 127.0.0.1

Also as stated above your computer's name will be in both Foreign Address and Local Address. This is normal.

Think of it this way. Your computer is on it's own internal network.

Also when you are on a website you may not have any Established connections because the page is finished loading. BUT if you start an instant messenger program. This should keeps an open connection and you should see Established.

All of the diagnostic information you have given us shows a correctly running system. If all you have is a phone line connected to a modem then I can ensure you that no one can connect an Ethernet cable because an Ethernet cable goes into a Ethernet card (network card) and it sounds like you may not have one or are not using it. It will look like a large (over sized) phone jack.

This does not mean you don't have a problem. I have a feeling your system has viruses, spyware, adware, and marlware on it. The issue of the program not installing or always trying to reinstall it's self is a software issue and does not sound like a networking issue.

I would recommend trying to install and run "spybot search and destroy" and "adaware by lavasoft" and ensure your antivirus is up to date and working. Use both above programs (search on google) both have free programs you can download and keep free (freeware). After downloading make sure you update them and do a full scan. It will take some time. Remove anything they find restart if needed. And see if that helps. Good luck. We all know your frustrated but we are all just trying to help.

Would recommend that you get a basic networking book to help you get started in networking and how it all works.

CCNA, A+, HP Certified Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back