Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suse Linux to Red Hat Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I want to migrate my applications from Suse Linux Enterprise server 10 to RHEL V5.3

Is there any smooth tool available for doing that? Most of applications are PHP & mysql based. Will normal tar backup from source system ( application/DB filesystems only) and restore will work or we have to do some additional tasks?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Polani

For that type of conversion, I'd...
1. configure the new server similar to the old
2. do a mysqldump of all databases
3. import the databases to the new server
4. tarball your code and copy it to the new server
5. untar it and test...test...test

Once the new server reacts as the old server does, you can...
1. stop users from hitting the old server
2. mysqlhotcopy or mysqldump your data to the new server
3. copy the programs over again in case there have been changes
4. swap server IP addresses

I think that would be the simplest (and safest) way to migrate. You could do database replication, rsync, etc. It really depends on your level of knowledge and experience with how it all works.

Good luck,
Mark

BTW, you can't just tar up the mysql tables, they will not work on the new server.

Mysqldump allows you to backup the databases during uptime and restore them to the new server during uptime.

Mysqlhotcopy will also allow uptime backups, but you'll have to shut down the mysql server on the new system to restore them.

I agree with Kozusnik; test, test, test.

Also, be on the look out for path differences between the two distributions if your code calls any external programs.

hi,

Many thanks for all of you for great responses!!
backup
What i could understand , is to use sql utilities to take dump of database from Suse and restore it to RHEL. For executables , i can use tar for same purpose.

What about PHP applications; i think tar should work for these applications as well.

Last question , i do have also SAMBA running on SUSE, can it be just migrated by copying SAMBA related configuration files or some additional steps to be done?

Many thanks in advance

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

Pretty much. Use the MySQL tools for the databases and tar the rest of the files.

As for SAMBA, I'd install it on RH and do a side-by-side compare of the configs. As IRudebwoy said, the locations might be different and they could be different versions with different options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back