Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUSE Linux login not

Status
Not open for further replies.

pray11342

Technical User
Apr 26, 1999
US
Just built a new Novell Linux Desktop 9 workstation.

We installed the Linux client. I want to login to our Novel SBS 6.5 Server. When I get the login window, it can locate the tree, the context, and the server.

The login dialog looks just like Windoze. However, when I give it a valid user name and password, I am informed that "The system could not log you into the network. Make sure the name and directory information are correct, then type your password again"

Tried fully qualified name, admin name, no luck.

Tried using the IP address of the Server, no luck.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

verify your NIC is bound and there is an IP address.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

Hi Brent,

The NIC is bound, on the 6.5 SBS server (been working for some time) and the SUSE workstation.

The workstation can access the Internet. I repeat -- when I run the Novell login, the dialog box comes up, and the correct tree, context, and server are in place.

When I enter a valid user name and password, Novell tells me "The system could not log you into the network. Make sure the name and directory information are correct, then type your password again"

I can reach the Internet. I can ping the server. Since the client finds the Tree, Context, and Server by itself, I think SLP must be working.

I tried disabling NMAS in the client, I am not using it, and this was an issue with my Windoze workstations.

Thanks

Paul Ray

Well, for reasons best known only to itself, the SUSE workstation suddenly began logging us in to the Server. Can't break it now.

[ponder] Beats me, but I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Turns out we installed the 32 bit version on our AMD 64 bit hardware. Going to download the 64 bit version and try again.

Thanks for the help,

Paul Ray

Guess you can chalk this one up in the "strange" section.

Glad to hear it started to work with out the sacraficial gift on the voodoo table to the Linux gods.

Come back and give us some thoughts on the 64 bit client. Haven't been give'n the chance to try it out my self, and your the first person I have heard of thats tried it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back