Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suse 9.1 on Optiplex SX280 - Problems compiling NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiservguy

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
I have been asked to install Suse 9.1 Pro on a Dell Optiplex SX280. The OS goes on fine, but the NIC isn't detected (it's a Broadcom NetXtreme 5700 built-in). I went to Broadcom's website and got the source rpm for the linux driver for this card, but I'm getting an error when I try to run rpmbuild.
The command I'm running is
rpmbuid -bb /usr/src/package/SOURCE/bcm5700.spec

The script runs for several lines (making temp dirs and such) then gets to this line:
make -C SUBDIRS=/usr/src/packages/BUILD/bcm5700-7.3.5 module

make: *** SUBDIRS=/usr/src/packages/BUILD/bcm5700-7.3.5: No such file or directory. Stop

I don't know if it's trying to create a directory called module in the bcm5700-7.3.5 directory, or if its trying to put a space in the directory name, or what. The directory bcm5700-7.3.5 does exist.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(As an aside, why didn't Suse include the make routine in their 9.1 build? I had to download and install it...)

is this the exact phrase?

BUILD should be your kernel version. I think you must configure the package before "make" it.

Cheers.

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm following the instructions in the readme that came with the drivers. I've never had to do this manually before. This should be fun...

OK, I've checked the directory that the source rpm expanded into, as well as the independent tar.gz file, and I can't see any file (executable or otherwise) where I can configure the package. This is getting quite frustrating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back