Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS wuau22.msi won't install on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin1022

Instructor
Apr 19, 2003
US
I've got a win2003 domain controller, a win2003 sus server and an XP Pro/SP1 client. A GP assigns the wuau22.msi to the client and should point the client to the sus server for updates. The client receives the policy and dutifully tries to implement it, but the wuau22.msi install fails (Event Viewer shows these messages). A manual attempt at the install fails with a message saying the client requires win2000 sp2 or winxp.

It IS XP, so??? Any ideas?

Part 2: IF XP doesn't require this wuau22.msi (as some forums indicate), then the updates still do not seem to get advertised to the client. Access to the server is confirmed (pings, name resolution, access to etc) so I can't figure out why the updates aren't advertised. GP appears to be set correctly...

Thanks
damon

Damon Garn
Technical Instructor
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Linux+, Network+, Security+

I've had no problems with SUS and XP and no need to install wuau22.msi on XP either.

You may want to try the FQDN of the SUS server in the GPO instead of just checking that the name can be resolved first.

Might resolve what the problem is.

Excellent idea, except I already tried that. Confirmed the FQDN can be reached from the clients and at one point had the SUS server's IP in there. No joy.

Additional ideas?

Damon Garn
Technical Instructor

Hmmm,

Just to cover the points I'm sure you've done:

-XP box is in the 2003 domain
-The time is set correctly on the Xp box to the domain time and time zone.
-Sp1 is on XP
-The Server name of the SUS server in the GPO is and nothing further has been added to the url
-The GPO is set to automatically push the patches without user acceptance (for testing purposes)
-You ran GPupdate on the client to refresh the GPO settings
-No other GPO's are blocking the SUS update by checking the Resultant policies for the XP box

Have you tried to add a 2000 Pro workstation to the domain with sp3/4 and tried a SUS push at the same time?

Yes to all bullet points - all double checked and I've tried 2 different physical XP boxes - one receiving the GP settings from a custom "SUSGP" I created/applied to a test OU, the other as a part of the domain policy. I've got one Win2003 box as DC and one as SUS, plus my clients and none of the boxes get the update advertisements from SUS...

Didn't try the Win2k box will do...

Damon

Damon Garn
Technical Instructor

Just had a thought, Can you set the GPO to lock (grey out user access) the Automatic updates options on the clients and pre-define the options for the clients?

Does this GPO setting work?

If it does, try the push to the clients again, ensuring they need patching in the first place.

Let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back