Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS (Software updates Services) Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorTech

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Sorry this is the closed forum I could find for my question. Just wondering if anyone of you know if you can use SUS to update MS office updates and service packs as well.

Regards,
JuniorTech

He is right...no office updates but that will change with the new release of SUS titled WUS. Check out for more details. This will basically be SUS for everything with plans for it to update and patch third part software in the future.

-Ryan

You can do updates to office using SMS2003 but there is one problem and I guess it will be the same for this WUS...and that is you need to install from an admin share which is accessible from the pc you are trying to update. Because when you update office it always asks for the source cd if you installed it from cd. Which kinda kills the update remote fucntion if you have to run around with an office disk.

But if you install office from an administrative share it should work fine.

Sorry if this is totally of topic...

Kim

Thx for the input....I was worried about that. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft has some way to work around that.

-Ryan

Actually you can, if you use the SUS Feature Pack for SMS.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back