Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS not updating all workstation with Security Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwtr

MIS
Oct 13, 2003
US
I need some help on SUS. Back in May we had SUS push out the patch that would protect from the Korgo virus. Just last week we were hit with a nice bit of computers who contracted the virus. What we noticed is that all machines don't appear to be getting all the patches we are sending out via SUS. We are trying to figure out what would be causing this. In a meeting today we were discussing this. One machine got 40 patches all at once, when other computers log in daily and not get all the patches we are distributing ( get some and not others). Both machines have been verified as being setup for Windows Updating.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is Service Pack 1 installed on every machine? I believe that must be installed for SUS to work properly.

All the pc's didn't get SP1 downloaded to their machines. The newer imaged pc's had SP1 on them. Manly all my older imaged XP machines got the SP1 download. Is there some documentation that actually indicates that having SP1 in place is the key to getting SUS to work? Been working with one of my engineers in another office on this. We know there has to be a common thread but we couldn't put a finger on it.

were your pcs installed from scratch or were some done via ghosting?

we found certain ghost images were not putting in certain registry keys for the windows updates and manually putting them in did not help so they had to be rebuilt

we had partial success by asking the users to leave their pcs logged out but switched on so that they would get installed during the scheduled time of 3am

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back