Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS - Can it push SPs & IE upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odinfire

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
Just curious if this free server patch management solution can also serve service packs and I.E. updates, say IE 6.0? Lastly, can these be customized as needed prior to deployment?

Thanks!

Yes the SUS server will download service packs and patches for Windows inc IE and will then wait for you to approve them before they are pushed to clients.

SUS is primarly designed for patch managment meaning that it can automatically deploy hotfixes and updates. They latter added the ability for deployment of SP's but with a couple of requirements.

1)Windows 2000 requires at least SP2 and Windows update client for SUS updates and SP updates.

2)Windows Update client was not included untill SP3 for Win2k so you must deploy the update client by AD or other such deployment techniques.

As for IE - updates and hot fixes work just fine. As for major version upgrades and SP's we have yet to get them to work.

Hope this helps - I would recommend it - its better than nothing!

If you have a large environment, you may consider installing SMS (Systems Management Server) with SUS. This will enable you to roll out service packs, IE version upgrades, etc. It's just a more robust version of the stand alone SUS.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Odin - Just use GPO to deploy service packs. You can deploy Windows 2000 SP4 with GPO; I'm not positive on what others are supported, but I would guess XP SP1 and any future SPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back