Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surpressing Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaAH

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2003
GB
In a mailmerge document I want to be able to get Word to ignore fields where there is no data in the database, i.e.

Mr John Smith
24 New Street
(this would be area but there isnt one)
Manchester
M40

I just want to be able to get rid of the blank line and have the address all in one block.

Many Thanks

Lisa

What version of word are you using? There are different ways of doing it based on the version. Also how are you getting the data? is it via ODBC or a word database etc.

[pc]

Graham

Hi

Thanks for the reply, we are using Word 2000 and it is via ODBC.

Thanks again

Lisa

In your existing document, select tools > letters & mailings > mail merge wizard.
It should come up with step 3 of 6. There should be the option to "edit recipient list". Select this. You will now see a list of all your records and thier column names. You can filter this the same way you filter in Excel. Click on the triangle directly to the right of the column you wish to filter by and in your case select the option to only include non blanks. This will stop ALL records where THAT field is blank from coming through.

[pc]

Graham

Lisa

In the Mail Merge Helper, Step 3:Merge, there is an option to "Don't print blank lines when data fields are empty".
Try it!

Barborne
Worcester
UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back