Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surge Protector overheated, computer not working now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarateLois

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
US
The other night something happened and my surge protector, which is one of those big 6 outlet ones that also acts as a battery, overheated and started to cause a smoke smell. The surge protector is no good anymore. So i plugged my computer into the outlet to try it. The first time i booted it up, WinXP loaded and I got an error report saying soemthign happened with my graphics card. I sent the report in and continued to use my comp, which was working fine. A few minuts in it froze and went into sleep mode. I rebooted and tried and the same thign happened again. this happened serveral times. Now when i try to turn my computer on it mades a sound and goes right into sleep mode. I opened it up and everything looks fine, but i dont know a ton about computers. Nothing was burnt or anythign though. What could be wrong?

PS...comp stats:
AMD Athlon 2600+ 2.0 Ghz
1024 MB RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card
Audigy 2 sound card
Windows XP Home

Thanks in advance!

remove your graphics card which could have been damaged and try to boot after that. just open up your pc and look for the card which will be showing a port in the back of the pc so you can identify it. go to google and look it up in pictures so you will see what it looks like and have an idea.

but you probably already know what it looks like that is just incase

Luis

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

I would think you will have to replace your graphics card at the very least. I would advise you get a new power supply for your PC as well as a precaution. If you don't know much about PC's you may want to consider taking it to a repair centre, or recruiting a knowledgeable friend to help. Because you could do more harm than good.

You need to find out why the surge protector went bad as well. Did it just fail? Or did you suffer a massive voltage surge? Has anything else in your house failed at the same time? Such as a VCR. If so that would indicate you suffered an over voltage.

Check your house insurance. You may be covered.

KarateLois,

Also check the maker of your surge protector/battery backup some cover your computer if it is damaged while plugged in correctly.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

If your graphics card is onboard then you may have to get a PCI or AGP card and install it. Hopefully it didnt take out any other motherboard components with it.

Free Computer Help and Tips:

ok im going to try to take out my graphics card now and see if it works. I do know a fair amount about computers so i dont wanan spend the money to take it to be reparied unless i have to. gettign a new video card isnt such a big deal so ill test that out. also, ill look into the protector and see if theres a warranty. ill get back with results, thanks again!

I'd personally, before anything else check out your electrical supply. Always find out the cause before attempting any cure. get yourself a voltmeter and check voltage and current levels. If not confident in doing this, I'd get an electrician to check it out. You may well end up sticking in a nice shiney card and power supply, only to blow it again a week later.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back