Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surge/lightning protection for Ethernet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bithead9

MIS
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have a 10BT Ethernet that needs to connect two buildings. I've done the IROB for CO lines and connection of buildings. I was wondering if the Towermax T1/ISDN protector will do the job: Some sites I read this protects all 8 wires and this site says on 4 of the wires. Does anyone know which is true? Or does anyone have a recommendation for building to building Ethernet protection.

When running a muti-condurctor cable (i.e. 25 pair) between buildings, we've used the PortaSystems 110 protection blocks. They come in 4,8,12and 32 pair, and have Cat5e and Cat 6 protection modules available.
The model is the 505E Protector Pack.

Whem running individual cables, we've used TransTector protection modules, as well as PolyPhaser protection modules.

you need both ,the tower max offers secondary protection but you also need primary protection

anytime Ethernet leaves a bldg it should go to fiber but if your stuck with the copper then do the primary and secondary

Skip is right - you MUST have primary in addition to secondary - lifesafety issue.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back