Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Pro 3 Tablet - won't power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrink

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2000
US
I have tried all internet posted fixes of various power button + volume up/down combinations, and it still shows NO JOY! Some sites call it the "Black Screen of Death" as power is connected but won't revive to show any signs of life.

I have used this site many times in the past and have always received excellent advice from all the various professionals who view and give top notch advice. So I'm hoping someone out the their knows the answer. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Well, I don't know a lot about the surface pro (haven't played with one)... however, some "generic" troubleshooting.

If it has a removable battery, try removing it. A completely dead battery can stop a machine from powering on. If it powers on without the battery, it's the battery.

If you can remove the battery, remove it and hold in the power button for several seconds (without the power adapter being plugged in). I have seen this work on machines; it clears any residual charge in the caps.

Make sure the power adapter is actually working, making contact, etc.

Are there any lights on it to show that it is charging?

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Yes Sir, checked that first and decided to go around the battery by plugging directly into the wall socket with power cable. It does indeed show led light glowing on the cable to indicate power to the tablet. I also left plugged in overnight to ensure it's charged. (although I can't validate that as it's still showing a black screen). Thanks for the quick response.

lbrink,
Have owned 4 Surface Pro's (3, two 4's and a 5). One of the 4's and the 5 both had power issues. The Surface is NOTORIOUS for them. The resolution is going to be: return it for replacement. If it's under 1 year old, you can get a like-for-like replacement usually on the spot at a Microsoft store (so long as you live in the US and have a store near you, or in London. Everywhere else in the world, you have to ship it in, wait about 10 days, then they ship a new one, which you get in about a week... so it's a 3 week ordeal to get it replaced using shipping methods, and they require you to pay the shipping...)

I've seen many power encounters with the Surface like this, so that is your option. If it's more than a year old (i.e. out of warranty) you can still get a replacement, but they have a charge for that, which varies depending on the model you have.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Hi Scott24x7,
Thanks and agree, I've come to that ultimate point in the journey. Since it's out of warranty, I was hoping for a less expensive solution.
The closest Microsoft Store is about 2 to 3 hours drive, depending on traffic. Reluctantly, I will suck it up and consider closing this forum thread.
Thanks to all who contributed and viewed this issue.

Cheers,
LBrink

I"m a newbie here. I have some kind of issues like this one. Thanks for this thread.

There can be two things that can happen. One is that your display cable got burnt or damaged. Number two is that you have a dead battery. Try fixing one by one and you will notice what is wrong.

Graphic Designer at background removal service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back