Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Mounted jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefred

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
US
I use the Allen Tel at468-8 surface mounted jacks (or biscuit) and when wiring for voice---1 or 2 pair phones, it is simple to wire, but the problem I am looking for a solution is If I am wiring a T1 and want to use pair 1-2 and 4-5 ---- I dont have a wiring guide that shows which posts in the biscuit or what colors relate to or-wh/or --- I went to Allen Tel's site and found nothing--I did a search on wiring and pinouts or surface mounted jacks and got nothing---do any of you know a link that has a layout on how to wire all the standards using a surface mounted jack?
Thanks
Red45

For a T1 circuit use the following:
Pin 1- Rcv Ring
Pin 2- Rcv Tip
Pin 4- Xmit Ring
Pin 5- Xmit Tip

If using a 568-B type jack, this corresponds to:
Pin 1- or/w
Pin 2- w/or
Pin 4- bl/w
Pin 5- w/bl

If using a 568-A type jack, substitute the w/gr pair for the w/or pair.

If using a USOC type jack (RJ61):
Pin 1- w/br
Pin 2- w/gr
Pin 4- bl/w
Pin 5- w/bl

If using a USOC type jack (RJ48X): (see 568B)

As a note, you should use an RJ48X jack for T1 installations as it is a registered network interface and provides a 'loopback' to the Central Office when the equipment cable is removed, via shorting bars built into the jack.

franke

Thanks for the reply Franke but that was not what I was looking for. I am looking for the surface mount jack side--- red/green=4 and 5 yellow/black=3 and 6 but what I am looking for is the location and colors for 1 and 2 ---- and 7 and 8

Get a surface mount box that will hold a jack. Terminate as usual.

I am sorry--I must not be explaining this well---on the surface mount jacks, they are color coded (looking at the bottom of the box with the jack on the top---- red/green ----yellow/black ---- blue/brown ---- orange/slate

I know that reg/green and yellow/black are pairs 4/5 and 3/6 but where and what color are pairs 1/2 and 7 and 8

I have seen different color combinations on those outer two pairs, especially with 'overseas' products. I can't remember the standard colors, but the simple thing is to take a continuity tester or a meter and just check. It would take you 1 minutes and you would be posivite about which pin goes to which jack.

I'm pleased to see that you did search the web for info before asking, sometimes it is very easy and informative to search a bit first. Unfortunately, AllenTel has a crappy web site, so I understand your frustration.

Get out the meter or continuity checker to be sure.

Good Luck!

Daron
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

The color code for this type of jack is not a standard and could be different between manufacturers. If this is the jack you must use take one and test the pairs for yourself then you will know for sure.

Verizon use those type jack in southern cali.all the time for RJ45's
brn/or is pin 7&8
blu/ sl is 1&2

I have had to do a lot of these T-1 extentions also. Most of my customers want to seperate CAT5 runs, one cable for TX and one cable for RX. I am told that this is because T-1 is true digital signal and the pair seperation keeps the t's line integrity in tack. Look at your RJ21x DMark to verify what the local telco has done as far as pair seperation. You may also want to verify with your customer if they want to use a RJ48x jack. Some providers do not use these any more because they can not tell if the line is in fault once the shorting bar is in use. Once again, from my experience it could go either way.

Thanks to all that are trying to solve my dilema. I think most are confusing the surface mount box with the standard RJ45 connector---what I am talking about is a AlanTel 468-8 surface mount box (also known as a biscuit) I got a reply from AlanTel and they sent me a .pdf of the colors and codes that explains it a little easier.
1st pair is red/green (4 and 5 or blue/blue white)
2nd pair is black/yellow (3 and 6 or orange white/orange)
3rd pair is blue/orange (1 and 2 or Green white/green)
4th pair is brown/slate (7 and 8 or brown white/brown)

|
|

2 1 6 4

Thanks again
Chiefred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back