Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SureStore DAT24 not recognized in WinXP after firmware update to 111

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbobjo

Technical User
Jan 22, 2005
US
Installed this tape drive in a machine after several months of non-use. New machine is Win XP SP2. Ran LTT utilities and updated firmware to 111. Now tape drive is not recognized in Device Manager. of Windows XP or the LTT utilities.

Hi,
Interestingly enough, I just searched the web for HP Surestore before I contacted HP about my dat tape drive. I have a dat24i drive that worked fine on a WindowsNT box that I had a couple years ago. Then I had the box rebuilt and the drive never read tapes again. HP sent a new drive, but the company rebuilding the box never could get it to work either. Last year I had an XP Pro box built and put the dat drive in it.
I have been quite lucky for the past couple years running with no backup (I'm embarassed to admit that). Well that streak ended last week when I lost some important files. So I started looking at my dat problem again. The guy I was working with noticed that the tapes(DDS1) were rewound past the header block. When I put the tape in I would get a yellow 'clean' light error. The tape would not eject until I rebooted.
I contacted HP and they wanted me to update the firmware. After reading your message, I was somewhat afraid of the results. We updated the firmware('flashed' is the term HP prefers). The first time we did a hardware scan and it found the drive. Then we ran some tests.... The next time we opened the Library and Tape Tools, the default was "Save, Manual Scan". I was told to use that. This time the Drive was not found and we had to do a Hardware Scan again to find the drive.
Was this anything like the problem you were having?
I figured out that if I manually wound the tape onto the front spool a little, everything was fine. I was actually using a 3rd party 'tar' format to read and write(HamiltonLabs.com).
If you would like to talk about this get back to me and I can give you a toll-free number to reach me on. If you are interested in calling HP and referencing my call case #, let me know and I can get that to you.

Interesting that flashing the firmware didnt work. Generally in most cases if you flash the firmware and then go into the Library and tape tools and do device analysis and then a Read/Write test it can solve the problem. My advice would be to update your backup software application drivers and then re-scan. Clean the DAT drive 5 times in a row as HP recommends and then rescan again. Be sure to update your Library and Tape tools to the new version that was released on Feb 17. It is now at a new version. Also...in any circumstance that you encounter a problem with a DAT or any HP Storage drive..ALWAYS flash the firmware no matter what. I wouldnt recommend using someone elses case number to reference a drive, HP will alwyas trouble shoot with you, in warranty or out of. USing an exisitng case number generates a ticket against that person and it just wouldnt be wise...great offer though!...but HP will troubleshoot for free...

Hi Jimbo, i'm have HP DAT24i (Model C1555D - logical board C1537A) with L111 over Adaptec AHA-2940UW in Windows XP SP2 and no have any problem..., my sistem recognize in the control panel/devices the tape unit...

Very Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back