Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress only certain Text in Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2003
US
I am trying to add a text field to a report but have a phrase that is repeated repeated in many of the records. Printing this field has increased the report size from 13 pages to 83 pages (not a good thing). My initial thought to create a subreport, selecting the text field if it does not contain the phrase, but the selection wizard in CR 9 does not allow a conditional select of this field. Any suggestions?

In the select expert you can use "Not like".

Select field and in drop down list you will see not like.

select statement will look like

not({FiledNmae} like "Phrase*")

or if within the text string

not({FiledNmae} like "*Phrase*")

If you can not filter out then suppress line in report

In section expert on the detail line, click on the formula button on conditioanl suppression and type

{FiledNmae} like "Phrase*"

This effectively returns a boolean true or false

If true the line will be suppressed.

Ian Waterman
UK Crystal Reports Consultant

The problem is that the select expert does not show this field as a selection option. Is there a CR option that may prevent selection based on field type?

Sounds like the field is a memo field, Crystal will not let you use them in Formulae or slect statement.

Your only option is to modify data before it gets to crystal, you could build a data view of the table and add an additional field which breaks down or converts your memo field into a varchar.

Can not think of any other solution.

Try reposting your questions asking howw to extract data from a memo field for use in formual or select expert

Ian

I checked, and you are correct. This is a Memo field, I'll try a new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back