Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress Not Behaving as Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradle

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
US
I'm trying to troubleshoot a report that contains 3 groups of subreports - a, b and c; PLEASE stick with me even though this is in and of itself nothing but masochistic. Each group contains 2 subreports. We're playing with Crystal 9.0 resting comfortably on a SQL database through ODBC. Groups b and c are suppressed at the group header level with formulas resembling the following (the precise naming is at this point irrelevant):

{table.field} <= value
and conversely,
{table.field} > value

The conditions are pretty straight forward, and every record hits one condition or the other. The report is organized with group a at the top, then b, and then c. No matter what, group b never suppresses, such that when the condition applicable to group c is met, we get blank reports.

Please forgive me for not being more specific, but there's really not much more to say about this - the suppression just is not working at all as its intended. Can anyone please make a suggestion or two about what might be going on here? The suppression is set at the group header level - should it be set elsewhere? Do I need to somehow specify that the data for the condition needs to be addressed at the single record level?

Thanks in advance for sharing the pain.

If group B never suppresses, any fields in group B header or Footer would show.

If you posted example data, your actual formulas, and expected output someone would probably have an answer by now, I fear that you're being both S&M with yourself by not doing so.

It's easier to do and often helps the developer figure out the problem.

If all you're doing is displaying on the GHC, and it's suppression formula suppresses everything, than that's what you asked for.

-k

Thanks, synapsevampire -

You make a good point about detail, so here we go.

The report is structured as follows (I'm going to list what I see on the left hand side of the report):

Report Header, Page Header A, Page Header B, Page Header C, Group Header 1A, Group Header 1B, Group Header 1C, Details (empty), Group Footer #1 (empty), Report Footer (suppressed) and Page Footer

Other than the suppression on Group Footer #1, the only other suppression I see is as follows:

Group Header 1B is suppressed with the formula {Rep_9_ConsYieldRisk.AvlPof}<= 2.4
and
Group Header 1C is suppressed with the formula
{Rep_9_ConsYieldRisk.AvlPof}>2.4

All three Group Headers are linked to a field called Rep_9_ConsCredit.FIStyle, as well as a field from a different table called PortID.

The core of my issue is that Group 1B is never suppressing. This leads me to believe that I need to somehow incorporate the values in Rep_9_ConsYieldRisk.AvlPof differently, such that they are looked at and evaluated individually. I don't believe this is the case currently.

Each Group Header contains 2 subreports each; the subreports for Group 1B and 1C are virtual copies of one another, though the second subreport in each is adjusted to better display either higher or lower values based on the Rep_9_ConsYieldRisk.AvlPof value. Because of this, and because Group 1C never displays, the second subreport in Group 1C is always blank when the condition {Rep_9_ConsYieldRisk.AvlPof}<= 2.4 is met.

If anyone needs more detail, I'll be happy to provide it - though I think (read: hope) this will do it.

Thanks for putting some thought into this for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back