Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress Blank Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpvel

Technical User
Apr 29, 2005
US
We are running CR 10.0 and we have a report as of follows:

Main report with 3 groups.
Report footer a: Index for sub report A
Report footer b: Sub report A
Report footer c: Index for sub report B
Report footer d: Sub report B

I am passing parameters through the main report to the sub reports. However if the parameters are blank then I want to suppress the Sub reports A & B including Indexes. I tried “Suppress Blank subreport” option, but still I am getting blank pages. Please let me know how can I get rid of these blank pages.
I see additional blank page at the last. I checked some FAQ’s on this problem and I tried removing checkmark for all the sections that have “new page after” and entered a formula “not (onlastrecord)”. I reduced the size of sub reports to the minimum. But still I am getting a blank page at the last.

Please share your ideas as I am kind of new to Crystal.

Thx, MP

I use vers 8.5 and am not familiar with the "Suppress Blank subreport” option. The way I would handle this in 8.5 is to conditionally suppress the report footer section if the parameters being passed to the subreports are blank.
MrBill

Any sections exposed might use a formula of isnull({table.linkedfield}) in the supress of the section.

That way if the database does not return any rows for this subreport (remember that subreports are eeeeevuuuuhl and should be avoided), the sections will all be suppressed anyway.

-k

The "Suppress Blank subreport” option was introduced after Crytsal 8.5 - version 9, I think.

What it does is suppress the section if the subreport finds nothing. Presumably it finds something if you pass it blanks. So you need to suppress the whole section if the parameters are blank (or null).

Right-click on a section and choose Section Expert. Then choose the formula icon (x+2 and a pencil) for suppression. Enter a formula

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Madawc/Synapsevampire,

Thanks for sharing your Ideas.

When I used "Suppress Blank Subreport" I see blank pages because subreports finds something if I pass blank or null. So I opened section expert and I see two check boxes one says "Suppress(No Drill Down)" and another "Suppress Blank Section". I tried entering the following formula in both places after one another.

if isnull({table.field}) or isnull({?@parameter}) then
formula = true
else
formula = false
end if

But still I see blank pages. Am I doing something wrong?
I see the main report footer on all the blank pages. I want the footer for whole report. Do you think that would cause the problem?

-MP

Playing around with this Issue. I was not too sure, but I guess there should be something wrong with the formula. Because when I check "Suppress(No Drill Down)" button I did't see any blank pages. When I enter the formula using the parameter field then the blank pages appear again.

This is what I did finally and it worked out for me.
I changed the formula like this.

if {?@parameter} <> " " then
formula = false
else
formula = true
end if

Thank you all for your great help in this.

-MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back