Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Support for our company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q6600

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2008
US
Would it be appropriate for me to use this forum to inquire about opinions/suggestions etc about paid support for our CS 1000 system?

Thanks.

If you are looking for a vendor I don't see why not. Keep in mind most of us on this forum already have day jobs and this forum is mostly here to help technicians and customers out in our spare time. If you are wanting to pay one of us for support that may be a gray area and probably not appropriate. However, if you posted like this, Looking for a CS1000 tech in Kansas City contact me at this e-mail, I don't see anything wrong with that. But I don't run the site either. There is a wealth of information and expertise on this forum. I personally have been working on the CS1K 23 years and I'm still learning.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that looking for support from an individual here would not be appropriate. I was more looking for feedback and suggestions on vendors for hardware support etc.

We currently have support through what I think is one of the bigger vendors. Over the years they have gobbled up many of the smaller vendors which also changed names who knows how many times. The techs that I have worked with over the last 10+ years have all been excellent, and for the most part have been the same individuals. In the last 3 years or so, I think alot of them have been laid off :( The management/sales of the vendor... not so sure I would speak as kindly about them and they change every few months. (but to be fair I think that is typical, and they are usually the ones that get cut first on acquisitions/merges etc.)

Anyway, we got a letter in the mail stating that our contract followed an old model and it needs to be revisited and it will NOT be eligible for renewal until it is recreated. My gut tells me this translates to basically paying more money for a system that continues to get older. Support over the years from them has been good, but very expensive IMO.

I do most of the basic adds/moves/changes for our company, thanks to THIS FORUM <3 The main office is the only with a nortel, its a CS 1000 with about 100-150 sets/DN's.

In the interest of our company I am looking to get a feel for what other options we have. We are not set on getting a different vendor, again Im just nosing around. Im pretty sure we are going to milk our nortel setup for as long as possible. Im sure most of the techs here can relate - in some of our other smaller offices we have used some newer SIP/VOIP systems. While they are feature rich they run into all kinds of wierd problems. Our CS 1000 with old skool copper PRI's JUST WORKS... and works... and works...

Just as an FYI, when ever we renew a maintenance contract at our company we do a site inventory every year, SOP. I work for a very large Telco and only do CPE work. Keep in mind also that you may be on an unsupported release of software, that is why they may be looking at it harder.

we have a CS1K with about 600 users at our main site. One thing I did to save some on maintenance cost was to just cover software and core components, no phones and nothing in the IPE cabs. We are also with one of the larger dealers and this has worked well for us for about 10 years now.

Our maintenance contracts are based on port count and we can either include phones or not. By port count I mean equipped cards in the PBX, not software equipped ports. Plus we offer an 8 to 5 or 24x7 contract. The 24x7 is really expensive but some places need it, hospitals, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back