Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Support for other characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetan

Programmer
Jan 22, 2003
MY
Can Acucorp support Chinese or Arabic characters? If yes, how can I go about it?

If you mean 'support' as far as printing characters is concerned, I suppose you could have support for any language you choose as long as you pick the proper font with W$WINPRINTER.

If you're talking about display, I'm not really sure.

.DaviD.

I've not done any multi-byte character set stuff with AcuCOBOL, but there was an article about converting ASCII to UNICODE and back in a recent AcuCorp newsletter. There is a sample zip file containing several useful routines on their web site ( based on that article. Look for "speaking.zip".

Glenn

I have successfully copied and pasted various versions of Chinese (GB, Big 5, etc.) from a Chinese Word Processor like NJStar or WenLin into an Acucobol working storage. If you're running Windows with character support or using a reader such as NJStars, the characters display correctly. You can even save the characters pasted into an entry field and display them from your data base. Takes a little trial and error but it works.

To satisfy my curiosity what is your application?

Vins Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back