Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SuperStack II 3300XM - To Buy or Not To Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

samm

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
GB
Hullo all,

After much thought I have realised it is time my humble network at work (which until now is running on D-Link Hubs) should move over to a switch. The catch is however, the bosses are not willing to spend too much money on a switch. After much looking I have come accross the
3Com Superstack II 3300XM Pre-Configured 10/100 24 Port Switch.

Is this a good switch? Should I buy it?

If not is there another one for about £600 (like the 3Com) that is better??

Please help. We need it soon B-( [sig][/sig]

I would pass on 3com due to my own technical experience with them. I have found them to be un-reliable and I am still having timing issues with them even after the new 3.01 code. They have autoneg. issues even with their own 3com NICs.

For cheap and decent, look at Linksys or NETGEAR ( the old BAY folks) There are others but I know these two from personal use.

If you could swing it, get Cisco if you really want to be "safe" with your investment :)

Mike S [sig][/sig]

Oh no!!! I steered away from Netgear cos I wanted to go for a more known name. Cisco are way too expensive as my budget is really around £600 - £700 for a 24 Port 10/100 - or is there a cisco switch that you know of that fits the bill? [sig][/sig]

While Netgear is a "new" brand, it's really Bay Networks entry into the disposable networking world. The product is pretty well made for what I use it for which is small networks ( under 50 nodes) Intel has some good gear again which is considered disposable ( so cheap support contracts dont exist) One idea is to get your Cisco equipment used and then place it on a support contract to cover yourself. I have done this myself. A Cisco 1900 ( 24 port) switch which is 10Mbps goes for 200-300(US) used and gives a solid product. It will give you nice stats on the ports and very good performance. You can even VLAN the ports if you want and are willing to hang a small router like a 1600 off it.

This is the biggest difference between the cheapo switches and the expensive ones. I'm not aware of any cheap switch that allows VLANs. I doubt you need it for your small network but who knows.

Just my opinions

Mike [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back