Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Superstack 4200 is asking me to enable Fast Tree Spanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgePal

MIS
Oct 14, 2002
GR
This event is displayed in the advices from the switch software. How can i enable it and for which port should i do it for?
Thanks!

Noone?

I also get a 100ms ping reply from the switch ip address...? Why is that happening???

Spanning tree is very useful if you want to automatically create multiple links between switches rather than a single cable. If you were to disable spanning tree and plug cables into the switches which created a loop you could potentially saturate your network with traffic.

If you want to create a redundant link which is enabled if the main link dropped then you need to disable spanning tree

I got confused now..
I got the switch connected to my server and then all other cables r going to the client computers. there is no other switch connected to it..
Shall i disable it then?
Could u please guide me how?

Always leave Spaning Tree on. Spanning Tree is a protocal that searches for the fastest route from point A to B. Since you only have one route it's pretty simple. Spanning Tree also breaks loops in a network. So if someone were to plug a cable from one port to another, for any other reasons. Spanning Tree would break the loop.

This is also useful if you wish to create a redundant loop - Which spanning tree will break, but if one goes down ST will automatically activate the other connection.

The Spanning Tree Port Fast should be enabled as it prevents computers from missing their DHCP request when the bootup - which could otherwize happen if this is disabled.

Hope that clears it up for ya.. but if not to make it simple.

Spanning Tree and Spanning Tree Port Fast = Good! :)

- Andy

But how can i enable it? I cannot find it in the options!! :(

I finnally managed to enable it through telnet management but it is still prompting me to enable it for a certain port. grrr!!
Its a 3com Superstack 3 switch 4228G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back