Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Superscopes on Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmacop

Technical User
Nov 6, 2007
Hi Guys

For whatever reason, i need to configure a superscope on a DHCP server to provide IP addresses in a multinet (multiple subnets on same physical segment) scenario.

What i need to know, is how the addresses are sereved. I beleive it is as follow:

(This is a theoretical scenario)
I have 2 pools
pool1 serves IPs 192.168.1.1-10
pool2 serves IPs 192.168.2.1-10

I would have thought that the client would request a lease and the server would assign the first available IP from pool1 and that once the IPs from pool1 are exhausted, it would start serving from pool2?

If this is idea is wrong, could someone please explain exactly how the DHCP server determines which pool of IP's to use when assigning addresses to a client?

Regards

Josh

If that's not working for you, what you could do is define a scope for 192.168.1.1 through to 192.168.2.10 and then exclude 192.168.1.11-192.168.2.0

This works for us - we're actually serving out 2 contiguous class C ranges, but we like to keep .1-.20 of each for servers, printers, etc, but the principle is exactly the same.

Enjoy

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back