Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Superdat and system errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathros

MIS
Dec 29, 2000
US
I updated my virus dat files last week using superdat file and imediatly began having system trouble. After reading a few posts here I tried it again using various options, even the dos command line.

System is still crashing constantly with errors related to the dll files on Mcafee.

Turning off various options doesnt seem to help.

Is there anyway to make it work without having to buy and upgrade? If I have to do that Im not wasting my money on Mcafee again.

Thanks.

Never mind....

After rebooting for the 10th time due to Mcafee dll problems, I removed the software.

I installed a free version of another product (avg) which proceeded to find 8 virus files on my system that Mcafee had missed. @ of them came in on emails today. I knew they were viruses, but Mcafee missed them even when I told it to scan the directory I saved the files in. (they were worms that wouldn't activate unless opened)

I thought that the superdat with the /f option forced an upgrade to the engine?

I did that and the problems continued. I know it upgraded because a lot of new "features" showed up on the screens. The ones related to the internet, it apeared, were the ones hosing my system. (and still did even when I disabled them on the software panel. It crashed every time I pressed the back button, as well as when selecting a thread topic on another forum board I use)

But missing a virus, even with new dat files and a new engine, and telling the software to scan the directory the file is in, is the main reason I will not use it again.

You didn't mention which product version you were using, or dat or engine. I might be able to help you with this problem if you could fill me in more.

You also never mentioned what problems you're encountering, just that you're having problems. Other people won't be able to help much with just that much info.

Cheers,

AVChap

If you're having problems with the new engine (4150), downgrade to 4140. Use an old Superdat with the /f option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back