Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SunFire V20Z and LSI Controller Write Performance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
Hi folks we are currently running a bunch of SunFire v20z servers running Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2005. Users have indicated that there are SQL Server error messages being generated that are consistent with poor write-cache performance. I heard that the LSI logic controller provided on the Sun boxes has relatively poor write back cache performance. Apparently the write-back cache is NOT enabled on these controllers by design, since the controllers come without battery backup and this could lead to corruption. The assumption here is the local disk (attached to the LSI controller) will only be used to store the OS and pagefile, not application data (Sun recommends external SCSI or SAN storage for this)
Does anyone know where I can find documentation that supports this claim. Haven't had much luck on the Sun forums I'd figure I would give the Tek-tips site a try. Thanks.

Regards

Terry

I suggest to call Sun. The question would be free of charge if these boxes still have warranty or if they are in a support contract.

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back