Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun V210 ALOM Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

zfreak28

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2003
US
Need some guidance on accessing the ALOM on the serial port.
I have attached the proprietary connector on my laptop serial port , the rj45 straight through to the serial mngt port. Opened up various terminal emulators from my windoze laptop. I never receive and data let alone a command prompt. SC>

Am I doing it wrong or do I need to connect from a Solaris machine with a serial port?

Thanks,

Lost in Translation

I havent connected straight to the serial port of
a PC, but I have a Lantronix Serial Concentrator - here is the note Doc I wrote up for that cable:

The SunFire v240 Serial Console cable to Lantronix is a full-cross cable - this is NOT THE SAME as a network "xover" cable used to chain two hubs together. That XOVER cable WILL NOT WORK. i

YOU MUST BUILD YOUR OWN CABLE.

Using a cable tester on a good Sun Fire v240 -> Lantronix
cable you will observe:

1 - 8
2 - 7
3 - 6
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 3
7 - 2
8 - 1

as the connections

Set the serial port on the Lantronix scs1600 to
9600, n 8 1 xon/xoff

The Sun Serial settings should be:

ttya-mode 9600,8,n,1,- 9600,8,n,1,-

Note the discrepency here: the last part of the sun
settings is "-" - meaning No Flow Control, whereas the
Lantronix is set to XON/XOFF. This seems to cause the
least problems, and allows you to remove the serial
console cable completely without bringing the system
down.

You should not need a solaris box to connect to the ALOM. A hyperterminal to COM1 from your laptop should work. Set up the terminal session as:

8 Bit
No Parity
1 Stop bit
Baud Rate 9600
No data control.

It has been a while since I have done this. But, I think I used a Null Modem cable to get this to work.

I'm having the same exact problem, and created a similar post a week/two ago.

I just purchased a new null modem cable to make sure i have a good cable. Do I need a special cable specifically made for sun?

Figured this one out by purchasing Sun 530-3100 DB9 to RJ45 Serial Port Adapter, and connecting to the Serial Mgmt port with Cat5 and RJ45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back