Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Ray's and VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeysm

MIS
Oct 7, 2004
US
I figured I would post this in case anyone else might find it helpful. I been wanting to be able to access my user's sessions remotely and managed to get VNC to do it for me. I downloaded RealVNC 4.1.2. I installed it in /usr/local/bin and created the password file under /usr/local/etc/vnc/passwd. I then added the following to my /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/login.sh, which is a script I have that runs whenever a user logs in.

Code:
VNCDISPLAY=`who | grep dtlocal | grep $USER | awk '{print $6}' | sed 's/[()]//g'`
VNCPORT=`echo $VNCDISPLAY | sed 's/://g'`
if [ "${VNCPORT}" -lt "9" ] ; then
    VNCPORT=0${VNCPORT}
fi
/usr/local/bin/x0vncserver -rfbport 59$VNCPORT -display $VNCDISPLAY -PasswordFile /usr/local/etc/vnc/passwd &

Probably not the greatest security practice in the world, but I made the passwd file 640 and set x0vncserver with a guid.

Now if someone is having a problem I run another script that connects up automatically and I can see what they are doing.

Code:
/usr/local/bin/vncviewer -FullColor -PasswordFile /usr/local/vnc/passwd servername:display

I bet your sunray servers love all these vnc sessions running.
Have you tested the performance impact on the servers from doing this ?

we used that type of setup at my last job, as a way to remotely support users. It did not impact the servers. In my experience with Sunrays, the biggest problem we had was everyday user apps such as mozilla/star office. talk about resource hogs, get 70+ users on one sunray running those apps, then you'd see some degredation in performance

Yes I know what you mean about mozilla/staroffice, thats why I asked about the performance impact, try running 200+ users on a v440 sunray server, thats what I had to deal with at my last job...

It has little to no impact on my server performance. I also setup two servers in a failover/load balancing group; to help if they should start getting hammered. Most of our user's remote into a MS Terminal Server anyway and run all their apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back