Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUN OPENSOLARIS AND CISCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczen

Instructor
Apr 12, 2008
US
I have installed VirtualBox and OpenSolaris on my laptop and am going to run FreeRadius! The laptop is my testbed as I am somewhat new to Solaris.. First I want everyone to know that VirtualBox is awesome! I like it much better than VMWare as everything installed and ran much more efficiently (But both VirtualBox and Solaris are Sun products and I haven't tested anything else in it yet).. Regardless I would definitely recommend playing with this if you haven't already! I have run Fink on my Mac for many years as well as VMWare on various systems and this is the absolute easiest and overall coolest product I have come across! I am getting hooked on Sun a little here! By the way I am not knocking, or even comparing these products really.. Just loved the way this installed and worked right out of the box.. Even the wireless worked for my Dell XPS M1530 ... Google M1530 wireless Linux and look at what you get!!! Then add VMPlayer in your search!!!

Enjoy!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Forgot the point of my post! Does anyone have any advice/recommendations here as I am new to Solaris and FreeRadius.. Links would be greatly appreciated!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Get Veritas for Solaris 9 or 10. A lot of people use it, but Sun won't support it. If not Veritas, then of course use the built-in Disk Suite (meta-add, meta this, meta that, etc.). Build some RAID configs. Also, learn what a concatenation is, and how it differs from RAID1. That's a Sun thing.
Veritas comes with a GUI, but the command line is fairly easy. Like to replace a disk in a mirror, you break the mirror, unmount the drive, replace the disk, mount it, and tell it to rebuild. Command line is initiate the menu driven deal...
crap...
can't remember the first command...but after that it's a 5 then a 4, and when the disk is replaced, a 4 then a 5. Also, get the free package Sun Explorer...
./etc/SUNW/SUNWexplo

Burt

Cool Thanks!!! Updating packages now... Just did the actual install (so I don't have to boot from LiveCD every time etc)

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Hey Burt,
Do you know anything about installing FreeRadius on OpenSolaris? I have been digging and digging but to no avail.. There really seems to be no info out there in regard to this other than the Sun Team discussing adding it to the packages a year ago.. but unfortunately it's not in there..

There is a binary for every OS except OpenSolaris on the Solaris site.. LoL (Even Windows.. LoL)

Also, do you have a good link to some info on compiling on OpenSolaris???

The usual apt-get, cvs, wget, git ETC.. then make, make install, .configure ETC. does not seem to be the way of OpenSolaris.. (Doesn't recognize those commands... didn't try apt-get yet) The directory structure is way different than what I have seen in the past as well.. no /usr/local ... in fact, it is a LOT different but it has been a while since I have played with Linux and this is definitely going to provide a good learning experience..

I think I will move this thread over to the Sun Microsystems Servers Tek-Tips forum since it seems to be more applicable at this point...

Will check out Veritas!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I know nothing about open solaris. There is a version of Solaris 10 for x86 systems, which is free---why do you want the open version? Are you trying to recompile the kernel? You really ARE trying to take over the world, aren't you? Can I go, too?

Burt

LoL,
OpenSolaris has been on the back burner, so to speak, ever since I first heard of the project and I am just getting around to it.. I think I will grab a copy of Solaris 10 also and compare the two!

Thanks!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Buirt,
How do I change my Window Manager from Common Desktop Environment (CDE) to Java Desktop System (JDS)???

I can not seem to find the "session manager" nor any info online that is geared toward absolute newbies to Solaris...

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I'm not too hip on the GUI---I actually don't have that much experience with Solaris, and also it's been a while...

Burt

That's ok.. I played around with it and decided to reinstall.. Looks like there is some initrc file alterations etc. that must be done but could not find anything specific enough to warrant spending that much time on it when I could just reinstall in an hour.. did try a sys-unconfig but that didn't work... Going to do it the right way and buy a Solaris book but that comes after the CCNA Security...

Definitely like the Java Desktop System.. (It's Gnome.. LoL)

The Sun servers are awesome... Just bought another server as well...

Dell PowerEdge 6650
Mine has 4x 2.7GHZ Processors
4GIGs PC2700 RAM (Max 32GIGs)
5 HDD Bays
Perc 3DC Ultra 160 128MB Raid Controller

Here is a link to this server

Bought this server for $169 with free shipping... Needed one that could run Windows... Will be virtualizing this server so that I can run a VirtualBox Solaris and a VMWare *Nix + Windows simultaneously.. Then I can X-Windows or VNC from my laptop and have access to four OS's at once...

I can compile, download, and hack away at my lab all day long and take the load off of my laptop.. Should be fun!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Also, back to the OpenSolaris thing.. Here is a really cool blog post I ran across that discusses OpenSolaris with it's ZFS filesystem over various Linux solutions. Thought that you might enjoy!!! There is an addendum link at the bottom that goes into more detail... I am really liking the Sun stuff!!!

Thanks again Buirt/Lerdalt/CiscoG for turning me on to this stuff!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I am going to have to turn one of my Sun servers into a MySQL server... Here is the link to the reference manuals complete with tutorials etc for MySQL versions 3x, 5, 5,1 and 6.0!!!

Have Fun!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Screwing with the .rc scripts is always fun, especially on production servers. That and vi'ing etc/vfstab (etc/fstab in Linux) to tell what drives to mount at boot...lol

Burt

Did you see how much easier that is with Solaris and the ZFS file system. He uses that exact example in the link I provided above.. It's one line to set striping and mirroring versus like four lines in Linux.. sweet!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Couple of non-solaris specific things that we've found to be very useful:
Webmin = web based administration tool for just about everything. It's perl based, and makes a lot of things a whole lot easier.

JOE = Joe's Own Editor. I like it a lot better than VI, but also haven't taken much time to really learn VI.

Really.. I will give Joe's a chance.. I always like VI.. hated emacs.. VI is so fast!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back