Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sun java training

Status
Not open for further replies.

birney29

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
GB
Has anyone been on one of the SUN Java Training courses? what are they like and is it business dress? thanks

If you haven't already, you may want to try asking this on the Sun Java forums at "and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." --Pink Floyd: Eclipse

"I'm going to spend eternity
reinstalling Windows." --Reinstalling Windows: by some British guy

If you haven't already, you may want to try asking this on the Sun Java forums at X-) "and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." --Pink Floyd: Eclipse

"I'm going to spend eternity
reinstalling Windows." --Reinstalling Windows: by some British guy

I attended one in the UK a couple of years ago and didn't have a great experience. As with most courses the benefit gained is very dependent on the trainer. When the guy introduced himself as, "new to Java but with plenty of C++ experience", I knew that it didn't bode well. See if you can find out the background of the trainer before attending / parting with cash. I'd also advise you to look at the syllabus very carefully. If you need to learn JDBC or RMI or whatever make sure that it is explictly included. Don't turn-up and expect the guy to be an expert in all aspects of the platform or to be able to go off-topic either in or out of the class. Finally, make sure that you understand the fundamentals. You're not going to get much out of the course if you have to spend the first 48 hrs understanding the difference between a class and an object ;->

I'm not sure if there is a formal dress-code but I turned-up looking pretty dammned casual and nobody objected.

I had a very good experince with mine. The reason I went rather than self study is because Object oriented programming is a very abstract concept and I found it very beneficial to here about real world examples and get real feedback from a qualified instructor. I had 2 lectures and a lab per week. Passed the exam with 56/59 questions and more importantly...I feel like I understand the concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back