Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sun fire v120 -cannot connect-urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

smahanta

Programmer
Mar 23, 2007
ZA
hi ,
i am working with sun fire v120(sparc-solaris), i usually monitor it through telnet(putty), but now i cannot connect to that(connection failed), but i can ping to that. and i don't have console cable to connect to it directly.
i can just guess that one of its partition might be reached 100% of memory usage, so is it the problem that i cannot connect to that?????

and can you please say it how can i get connected to that. its really urgent.

Hi. You might have more luck posting in Forum60 which tends to attract more people. In particular, if you have access to the machine you might try to boot from cdrom - there's a FAQ in that forum which will help you to do that.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Is it a live server? Is it still providing service even if you can't connect to it? For example if it is a webserver, is it still serving web pages?
This should help you decide the best course of action.

If you cannot telnet to the box and do not have a console cable, you are really limited in what you can do.

My first suggestion would be to get a cable. You'll probably need it again anyway!

Alternatively you could power cycle the box. Turn it off, wait 5 minutes and then turn it back on. If the problem was a full /tmp, then it should be sorted. However this really is the last option you should try, as there is a REAL RISK that it won't come back up, to a point where you can telnet into it. In which case you'll need a cable (go back 2 paragraphs).

As I said above it depends on how important the box is, if it is a test box you might think "What the heck" and switch it off. But if it a Live server you might think otherwise.

Steve

do you have anything but telnet enabled. ssh/rsh for example. Do you have any other boxes on the same subnet, or basically that can talk with that box, if so you might want to hop on one of those and try to ssh/rsh or even telnet from one of them. if not and you need to use a winders box, go to ssh.com and download their free ssh client. it is kind of hard to find on their site, but it is there. I used this one daily over putty.

Hi,

If you have other trust unix server, run the following steps.

1. #rexec -l v120hostname -n /usr/bin/ps -ef

2. #rexec -l v120hostname -n /usr/bin/kill -9 suspectPID

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back