Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Fire T2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

flister98

MIS
Jul 8, 2015
US
I recently had the pleasure/frustration of working with a T2000. I found a thread (thread518-1604380) to help in connecting with the server. I had to order a CISCO blue connection cable and I am waiting on its arrival.

I read in the above thread, that they used an old IBM Think Pad, the CISCO cable, and Minicom. I have a newer laptop (ie no serial port) running Windows 7, a USB to Serial Port adapter, the CISCO cable, and PuTTY. I ask (while I'm laughing inside) if anyone thinks this setup wouldn't make the long awaited connection to the T2000?

Also, not knowing anything about a T2000 (sorry newbie trying to learn :), What is the next step(s)? I'm sure the hard drives have been wiped clean. I want to create a RAID 5 system running a Linux Oracle server. The T2000 has a DVD drive installed. Can this drive be a BOOT-able drive? Does anyone know if it is a writable drive?

Thanks in advance :)
Frank

This connection 'should' work, but you may also need a 'null modem' adapter. That's a little thing-a-ma-bob that swaps the send and receive lines (and a few others) in case the lines are wrong. Old serial cables had separate send and receive lines and they are directional. Any good computer/electronics store (i.e. Fry's) should have it. It's not a 'gender changer', it's a 'null modem adapter' (they look similar, but do different things (you could need both)).

Yes, the T2000 CD/DVD drive is bootable. From the openboot prom command prompt ('[tt]ok[/tt]') it's '[tt]boot cdrom[/tt]' I believe. Google '[tt]openboot prom commands[/tt]' for more info on low level control of the T2000.

You'll need to burn your CD on another PC. You need to make sure you have a SPARC version of the OS since it's NOT Intel based.

You'll be doing a text based installation.

You used to be able to get Solaris 10 for free. Haven't checked in years so not sure if it still is. I would install Solaris 10 over Linux, but that's just me. I use both, but Solaris 10 runs great on a T2000. I'm not sure how good Linux support on SPARC is. No matter which way you go, Google is your friend and there are plenty of people on Tek-Tips to help too.

Good luck!

Yeah!!!
I got connected.

This is what I have:
Sun Fire T2000
- Four 73G 10K Drives

The system see the drives from showenvironment

System Disks:
--------------------------------------------
Disk Status Service OK2RM
--------------------------------------------
HDD0 OK OFF OFF
HDD1 OK OFF OFF
HDD2 OK OFF OFF
HDD3 OK OFF OFF

After I installed Solaris 11 and ran "format" to view my drives:

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c1t0d0 <LSILOGIC-LogicalVolume-3000 cyl 65533 alt 2 hd 16 sec 136>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@0,0
1. c1t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@1,0

this is what I got :( ??

I don't understand why it only see two drives.
I want to be able to use VFS to create VM on the drives
and to be able to hotswap failed drives.

Do I need to repartition these drives? Delete volumes?
Or have I just not initialized the other drives ????

Is there a drive manager? How do you see the drives from the console?
How can you see the amount of used/free space on a drive?

Thanks
Frank

Sorry, been away on vacation. [bigsmile]

From the OBP '[tt]ok[/tt]' prompt, try the following commands and see if four drives show up...

Code:
probe-ide
probe-scsi
probe-scsi-all

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I have made progress. It appears drive0 is a mirror of disk 0 and disk1
and drive1 is a mirror of disk2 and disk3

I have set the partitions:

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c1t0d0 <LSILOGIC-LogicalVolume-3000 cyl 65533 alt 2 hd 16 sec 136>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@0,0
1. c1t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424> disk2