Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Blade 2000 Lock Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GallopingGhost

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
I have a Sun Blade 2000 running Solaris 8 and is used for CAD Design work. I received 5 Sun Blades and imaged 1 machine and installed the image on the other 4 Blades. I am having an issue with 1 Blade that goes into sleep mode, and only wakes up with pushing the power button. If he logs out, there is not an issue. The login screen appears just fine. However, if he leaves for lunch without logging out and comes back (roughly an hour) he can not get into the machine nor can I remotely telnet into it. The machine has an XVR 500 Graphics accelerator.
I have disabled power management and upped the sleep mode to 90 minutes, but this one Blade just goes to sleep and does not want to wake up.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Last year I saw this problem, we moved the S85power to s85power and disabled the dtpower on CDE without affecting the problem.

I changed an EEPROM setting that cleared the problem BUT I have forgotten the parameter. I don't have a Blade 2000 so that I could look at the EEPROM setting.

If you could run this command:

# eeprom > /eeprom.out and post the result I am sure it would refresh my memory.

We had something similar to this on our Sunblade 1000/2000 once in a while when the engineer went to lunch.
We were seeing these messages in the /var/adm/messages file which sun informed me was part of the power management system.

Apr 22 13:57:57 humber qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop ONLINE
Apr 22 18:05:31 humber last message repeated 1 time
Apr 23 12:28:09 humber qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop ONLINE
Apr 23 18:33:44 humber last message repeated 1 time

SUNs advice was to remove all the associated packages pertaining to the power management applications.

Here is our correspondence with SUN:

The messages below show a known issue with Power Management. Basically the disks are being stopped after a
certain amount of time and then brought back up once the machine is woken up. This usually only causes the
machine to wake up slower than normal but it looks like this case it is slightly worse. Disabling PM should
fix this issue so if you can do this and we can then monitor the issue over the weekend to see if it stays
stable.

Mar 10 10:32:56 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop OFFLINE
Mar 10 10:32:56 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop ONLINE
Mar 10 12:58:35 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop OFFLINE
Mar 10 12:58:35 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop ONLINE
Mar 10 18:43:18 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop OFFLINE
Mar 10 18:43:18 lagonda qlc: [ID 686697 kern.info] NOTICE: Qlogic qlc(0): Loop ONLINE

To disable and remove Power Management on a system, do the following as root:

1. Check and see if any Power Management packages are installed. Some of the
packages may have changed in different versions of Solaris.

# pkginfo | grep "Power Management"

system SUNWpmowm Power Management OW Utilities Man Pages
system SUNWpmowr Power Management OW Utilities, (Root)
system SUNWpmowu Power Management OW Utilities, (Usr)
system SUNWpmr Power Management config file and rc script
system SUNWpmu Power Management binaries
system SUNWpmux Power Management binaries (64-bit)

2. Remove all related Power Management packages listed in step 1:

# pkgrm SUNWpmowm SUNWpmowr SUNWpmowu SUNWpmr SUNWpmu SUNWpmux

3. Remove the power management configuration file, if it exists:

#rm /etc/power.conf

4. Remove the power management startup script, if it exists:

#rm /etc/rc2.d/S85power

5. Reboot the system

Tony33,
Your problem description and solution matches what I have encountered. I have removed the Power Management packages and the first "test" seems to to have passed.
Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back