Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summit 400-48 bootprelay and Avaya IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kholladay

Programmer
Sep 4, 2005
US
Here is what I have:
Avaya 4621 connected to an Extreme Networks Summit 400-48 in turn connected to a Windows 2003 DHCP/TFTP server.

VLAN-10 has the server and all ports as untagged.
VLAN-11 has the phone(s) and all ports as tagged "11".

Option 176 on VLAN10 is set as "L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=11"
Option 176 on VLAN11 is set as "MCIPADD=10.254.11.11...etc"

The Extreme Summit has "enable bootprelay" and "configure bootprelay add 10.254.10.10" configured. I have also experimented with the "...bootprelay dhcp-agent option..." settings with the same result.

"Conflict Detection Attempts" on the Windows 2003 DHCP server is set to 3.

When the phone boots it assumes VLAN0 and pulls an IP of 10.254.10.xxx but then releases it pre the option 176 to obtain an IP on VLAN11. However after the release it re-obtains the same IP on 10.254.10.xxx not 10.254.11.xxx but with the VLAN set to 11 resulting in a "Finding Router" state on the set.

If I set the port on the switch to VLAN11 and untagged the phone boots correctly, this is only an issue when the port is set to VLAN tagged.

Kyle Holladay
Certified: ACACN, ACSCI, ACSCM, TIA-CTP
"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

can you post your DHCP config? Why does the bootprelay need to be enabled? Let me know...

Do you have forwarding enabled on vlan 11? As in ip forwarding eg routing?

Yes, IP Forwarding is enabled and there are routes. I can route traffic if the port is hard set to VLAN11 (untagged) but not if it is set to VLAN10 (untagged) and the phone uses VLAN11 tagging...with the latter the phone attempts to pull an IP using DHCP for VLAN10's scope but taggs as VLAN11 so it can't route.

Kyle Holladay

Hey I am having this same problem. Do you know what you had to do to fix this?

I used a screwdriver and removed it from the rack. Then took a hammer and beat the crap out of it before throwing it, and its companion 400-48, in the trash. Then I purchased another switch that actually worked and didn’t cost me a mint in support.

Kyle Holladay
ACE Implement: IP Office

It amazes me that people are willing to throw in their 2-cents to defend a product's reputation but remain silent when the original request for assistance or guidance is posed.

Kyle Holladay

It amazes me that people assume it's the product rather then their lack of skillset.

Did you call TAC? Did you verify your config's? Did you verify your DHCP setting are correct?

Thousands of company's across the world have been able to get an Avaya/Extreme network running. What is so special about you?

And there is the issue…attitude. I do hope that you are not a representative of Extreme Networks and that you wouldn't refer to a client and a business partner in such a manner if you were.

I did indeed call the TAC, and was told that I would need a support agreement to get their assistance, as a reseller of both Avaya and Extreme this was frustrating. So that you know, the companion switch that I dumped worked just fine with the same configuration, the only difference was that it had newer firmware. As did the Cisco that I tested to verify the DHCP configuration was correct, although how I could screw up a Windows 2003 DHCP configuration is a bit of a mystery.

I have configured this option at many, many sites using the same methods that I used here. And did I even once say that the other switch I purchased as a replacement wasn’t another Summit?

You know what they say about those who ASSume. Your passion to defend the product has clouded your ability to properly support it.

Perhaps you should take a step back and realize that if I, as a client, am able to get a release and then move forward by destroying thousands of dollars in equipment then that is my right. It was my money to throw away. Extreme didn’t lose out in any way in what I have done. In fact they sold yet another product.

Kyle Holladay

So, Let me get this straight.

You have all the money in the world to get equipement but you don't get or update maintenance to help you with issues that you can't solve or fix yourself?

NICE

Typical of untrained cable monkey. Toss money at an issue rather then fix it.

I am still having this problem. Do either of you have any advice to fix this?

I found my problem. I had the following commands in my config that were not needed:

config bootprelay dhcp-agent info option
config bootprelay dhcp-agent info check

As soon as i took out the "dhcp-agent info check" option my phones started getting the DHCP offer packets from the server. The phones then started comming up in the Voice Vlan in the correct IP address range.

It did work with the bootprelay dhcp-agent info option in the config but I took it out because the phones came up without it so I figured I didn't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back