Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing Total Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmithmme

Technical User
Jun 3, 2004
US
I am using Crystal 8.5 on Paradox database. I have an out and back field (both datetime) which I am calculating the duration between the two correctly. So, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm is 8 hours and so forth. So it looks like:

5/1/2012 9:00 AM 5/1/2012 5:00 pm 8:00
5/28/2012 8:00 AM 5/29/2012 6:00 pm 34:00
5/1/2012 6:00 AM 5/1/2012 7:30 pm 13:30

I used the date diff (datediff("s", {Crew.Out},{Crew.Back}) to calculate the total number of seconds for each row and then summed it in the footer. However, when I try to convert this to hours:minutes, the number is way off. In other words if I took my calculator to the above example I get 55:30 total hours, but my conversion is way off (in MY data I add up 179:30 on my calculator but the conversion says 280:29 and all none of my records have 29 minutes).

Here is my conversion formula for the total duration (I commented out seconds):

whileprintingrecords;
numberVar dur:=Sum ({@datediff});
numberVar hrs;
numberVar min;
numberVar sec;
stringVar hhmmss;
hrs := Truncate(Truncate(dur/60)/60);
min := Remainder(Truncate(dur/60),60);
sec := Remainder(dur,60);
hhmmss := totext(hrs,"00") + ":" + totext(min,"00");// + ":" + totext(sec,"00");
hhmmss

What am I missing here? Thanks.

There are probably several ways to do this, but I use the mod function to return only the remainder:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar v_hours;
numbervar v_minutes;
numbervar v_seconds;

v_hours := truncate(Sum ({@Diff})/ 3600);
v_minutes := truncate(({@Diff} mod 3600)/60);
v_seconds := ((Sum({@Diff}) mod 3600) mod 60);

totext(v_hours,0) + " hr. " + totext(v_minutes,0) + " min. " + totext(v_seconds,0) + " sec.

Your result gave me the same result (although formatted much nicer!). But the figure still appears off.. A check of the start & end times results in the correct number of seconds, so I don't think the problem is related to the conversion from seconds to hours/minutes, but I am guessing in how it sums the total number of seconds for each record. And I am correct as I summed up the seconds on my calculator and it doesn't match what Crystal is summing.

So.. this ones on me.. I must have something wrong in my grand total.

Thanks for your help. I will use your formatting :)

My grand total is 199,805 but I added five seconds to the last end time (7:30:05) so I would have seconds to calculate.

That gives me a total of 55 hours, 30 minutes, and 5 seconds. So I would agree that your total is probably not cooperating.

Where have you placed your evaluation of var formula. For Sum ({@datediff});
to work the formula must be placed in report footer. I suspect you have it in a group footer and you are showing total report value instead of group.

If in group change to Sum ({@datediff}, {groupfield]);

Failing that you have duplications. You could change to use a Running total and set evaluate conditions of RT to eliminate duplicated values.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back