Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing timephased fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensmaigaard

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2007
DK
Hi,

In MS Project 2007, is it possible to create a custom field which summs the contents of a timephased field for the entire project duration? Specifically, I would like to create a ressource field showing the total of available hours per ressource.

The use scenario is as follows:
In my organization, ressources are booked for projects in large numbers of short periods (I know, sigh...). I enter these bookings into Project as multiple "available from" / "available to" pairs per ressource (sigh again...).

Now, in order to be able to quickly double check if I have booked the total number of hours per ressource that are estimated and agreed for the project, it would be very helpful to be able to see the total of the timephased field "available" per ressource. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot,

Jens

Why not use the built in Project display?

View > Resource usage
RightMouseButton on the rightside grid
In the popup select "Remaining Availability"

Hi,

"Remaining availability" and "Work availability" are timephased fields.

What I am looking for is a total of "work availability" for the entire project.

/Jens

I am well aware that they are timephased fields (more correctly, "timescaledata").

Display the Analysis toolbar
View > Resource sheet
Select the resources you want to analyse
Click on "Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel". In the wizard you will be able to choose a variety of fields ... I chose Work and Cummulative Work.

It's a complex task writing a macro to work with TimeScaleData in project; it's trivial to write a macro to handle the output in Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back