Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliptdisk

Programmer
Aug 16, 2000
US
Hi.

I've got some reports to generate that are gathering data from a table that ranks the organizations members on a scale from 1 to 8. Each member is part of a unit that I'm summing the total number of members, at each rank, resembling the following:

Unit 1 2 3 4 5 Other Total

601 4 3 0 1 0 7 15
602 3 1 6 2 2 4 18

and, so on. What I need to do is to collate the values from fields 6,7, & 8 into one "Other" field. Furthermore, I need to sum the values for each field (1-8) at the bottom of the report. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Currently, my query is just sorting all 8 fields, but, I need to condense them. More important is the summing at the bottom of the page, though. Thanks.

Dan

I'm usually the one asking questions, but I think I can help on this one.
Use an expression as one of the fields in the report query. Type in something like this...
=Sum([Table1]![Unit6]+[Table1]![Unit7]+[Table1]![Unit8])
After that you can just drag it into your report from the field list.

Putting the overall sums in the report would go in the footer. An example would be...
=Sum([Unit1])

If I'm way off on this or didn't understand, I'm sorry.

Best of luck
Zach

No, that ought to get it, probably. Thanks. I'm going to give it a go, first thing in the a.m.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back