Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summary result from Sub to Main header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkbear

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
Hi,
I have looked at the threads regarding Shared and Global variables but am still confused:

Situation:
CR8.5 designed report with 5 subreports ( not my design).
The 5th sub ( all are displayed in Group Footers) has several summarized totals that I need to show in the Page header ( Report is only 1 page in size).
I cannot seem figure out where to define the variables and how to get that result..

Any guidance much appreciated..

[profile]

You can define a shared variable in your subreport, but given that subreports are processed in the second pass, and the report will already have finished with your page header before it gets to the subreport in your group footer, I don't think it'll be possible for you to pass the shared variable value back up to the main report for display in the page header. Are you displaying one group per page?

Jeff Prenevost
IS Administrator
Emergency Physicians Medical Group, PC
Ann Arbor, MI

Hi,
Thanks,
Nope, several of the groups ( which all have, basically, summary info) can be on one page..

I suspected there may be a problem with putting the values in the Page header..( as I said, not my design)..

I'll get back to the initial designer to see what alternatives he and his clients can live with..

[profile]

Since you say the report is only one page long, you might be able recreate the 5th subreport with the same group structure and selection formula as the main report and then place it as an unlinked subreport in the page header--although we don't know enough about the overall design to know for sure...

-LB

Remember that Crystal has a 'flow': your own commands are slotted into an overall structure that you can't change, and which is described in 'Help' etc.

Variables get their values set within a section, and this value is available to sections lower down the page.

There is a 'work-round', basically doing the same subreport twice. See [], which describes this method for section suppression. You should be able to adapt it to show a header total.

Subreports are slow, but not always avoidable.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Hi,
Thanks for al the info..I am going to have the original report designer rework it to be functional..

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back