Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summary on non-recurring field error

Status
Not open for further replies.

trwebster

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
US
I have a report that is summarizing employee hours. It groups by Firm, Employee, Funding code and Practice Group. One of the funding codes is call Leave and the group specifies that Leave be listed first. I now need to split two employees Leave hours by 70/30. There is a running total called "Leave" that summarizes hours billed to that funding code, grouped by employee. I created two formulas called "Leave Split 30%" and "Leave Split 70%". The 30% formula is: If {users.user_id} in [1014923, 1000717] and {menu_funding.label} startswith "LV" then Sum ({activities.hours}, {@Practice Group})*.30

I pulled that into the practice group footer and it works. I then tried creating a formula called Funding that said: If {@Leave Split 30%}>0 then "LV-Leave 30%" else {menu_funding.label}

That's when I get the error: Group specified on a non-recurring field. Details: @Funding

I gather it has something to do with the evaluation time. Any assistance on how to fix this would be most appreciated.

Calling a formula that has a summary from another formula normally does not work. The only fix I know is to make a manual summary. The requires to make a global or shared (my preference) variable that gets set to zero in the GH (in this case @Practice Group). In detail, GH, GF (where you want the calculation to occur) you put the formula (I believe we are looking at the Leave Split 30% formula) and re-write it to look something like this.

shared numbervar somevariable;
If {users.user_id} in [1014923, 1000717] and {menu_funding.label} startswith "LV" then somevariable := somevariable +{activities.hours}*.30

Then in the funding formula you would have to change it to something like this.
shared numbervar somevariable;
If somevariable>0 then "LV-Leave 30%" else {menu_funding.label}

Of course the variable name you use is up to you.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back