Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summarizing data and reporting running totals by month

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcooler

Programmer
Jun 13, 2009
Hello!

I need help summarizing data for a report. The report needs to show a running 12 month history of the number of "findings" opened in a given month. So, in Excel-world, I would have used a "countif" function on every month column.

I have tried to use pivot tables and crosstab queries, but they need a row heading. If I use the "Findings_ID" primary key as the row heading, I get every record since they are unique.

I know this must be very easy, but I'm just not quite sure. Does "DSum" enter the picture here?

Thanks!
Brian

Ok, no problem. I have 1 table named tblData and one field named Finding_Date. With that one field, I would like to create a report that shows # of records by month for the last 12 months. If it helps, the primary key is called Finding_ID.

Does that help?

Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Brian

So tblData has only two fields Finding_Date and Finding_ID?

How about providing
[ul]
[li]all of the significant fields[/li]
[li]sample raw data[/li]
[li]sample results in report[/li]
[/ul]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Alright, I got somewhere by adding a priority as the row header (turns out I needed that anyway). This code seems to do about what I wanted.

Code:
TRANSFORM Count(tblData.Finding_Date) AS CountOfFinding_Date
SELECT tblData.Priority
FROM tblData
WHERE (((DateValue(Month([tblData]![Finding_Date]) & ", " & Year([tblData]![Finding_Date])))>DateAdd("m",-11,Now())))
GROUP BY tblData.Priority
PIVOT MonthName(Month([tblData]![Finding_Date]),True) In ("Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec");

This is just the SQL that came out of my query builder. It gives a running 12 month report of the total number of instances. I'll let you know if this causes unforseen issues later.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back