Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sumif across rows and columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

primagic

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2008
GB
I am trying to sum across rows and columns

Section Jan 13 Feb 13 Mar 14
A 10 10 10
A 10 10 10
B 5 5 5

What I am trying to do is sum everying up until today for each section

Hi,

1. Are your headings actual dates? If you select one of your headings and change the NumberFormat to GENERAL, then the value should change to a NUMBER.

2. When you state, "sum everything" what does that mean with respect to your example?

Do you mean something like this?

[pre]Section Jan13 Feb13 Mar14 Total
A 10 10 10 =SUM($A$2:A5) A5 result - 30
A 10 10 10 =SUM($A$2:B5) B5 result - 60
B 5 5 5 =SUM($A$2:C5) C5 result - 75[/pre]

Randy

[pre]
Section Jan13 Feb13 Mar14
A 10 10 10
A 10 10 10
B 5 5 5
[/pre]

[pre]
Section Section Total
A =SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$4,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$D$4)
B
[/pre]

That's assuming that there are no dates greater than today.

sum everying up until today for each section "
So I assume the outcome would be:[tt]

A 60
B 15[/tt]

?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

To sum a 3-D array, we need to use an array formula

First, the easy part - The Section:
Code:
(A2:A4="A")
This will give us true or false for each row.

Then we work down the rows, and see if the date is correct:
Code:
IF(B1:D1<TODAY(),B2:D4)

We multiply each row by the true/false from the section, which will zero out each row that isn't the right section
Code:
=SUM((A2:A4="A")*(IF(B1:D1<TODAY(),B2:D4)))

and finish it by making it an array function, which is the part that makes it look at each row, by using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula, rather than just ENTER

You know when you have successfully done this, as excel will put curly brackets {} around the formula

I managed to get it working, however it works when the column number of the second index statement is 1. If I choose 2, 3 or any other number I get VALUE error.

Is this something to do with the data in column 2?

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!D6:D5000="UKPB")*INDEX('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!JR6:KC5000,0,1):INDEX('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!JR6:KC5000,0,1))
This works

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!D6:D5000="UKPB")*INDEX('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!JR6:KC5000,0,1):INDEX('[bmi_excel_layer_June_Final_v3.xlsm]Main - Partnerships'!JR6:KC5000,0,2))
This doesn't work

What do your INDEX() functions return? I have never seen them used in a SOMPRODUCT() like this!

Similarly, I've never seen a ZREO as a row or column offset in the INDEX() function???

Index: use of the 0:

If you set row_num or column_num to 0 (zero), INDEX returns the array of values for the entire column or row, respectively.
or
If you set row_num or column_num to 0 (zero), INDEX returns the reference for the entire column or row, respectively

There is nothing wrong with the references it returns - with a 1, you get JR6:JR5000, with a 2 you get JR6:JS5000. I would check the ranges to make sure there are no errors in the 2nd column - these errors will carry over to the SUMPRODUCT formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back