Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum of a Field with Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikar

Programmer
Jun 4, 2003
US
In my report i have a flag field which will have two values 'Y' or 'N'.On the value of this flag i have to sum a field separately for 'Y' and 'N'.After this i have to take difference of these two values.How to do this.Please help me out.

thanks

create the following two fomulas and place in your detail section

Formula @yes

if {flag} = 'Y' then
else

Formula @No

if {flag} = 'N' then
else

Then sum the two fomulas

Create a new formula

Formula difference

sum(@yes) - sum(@no)

Place either in a group footer or report footer

I hope this helps

Hersza's solution will help you to COUNT the numbers of Ys and Ns. If you actually want to SUM another field based on the Ys and Ns, slightly modify his formulaa:

{@Yes}
if {flag}="Y" then {AmountField} else 0

{@No}
if {flag}="N" then {AmountField} else 0

Then perform a simple sum on these 2 formulas, and take the difference between them as well in another formula.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

For Crystal 8.5, I'd use running totals. You can use a formula to decide when to add or whatever, so do one that tests for N and another for Y. More flexible than other methods.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back