Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum function is not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

swan717

MIS
May 16, 2001
US
Hi:

I have a spreadsheet that has a sum function that does not update until I save the spreadsheet. Can anyone help me figure out why?

Thanks for your help,
Swan717

Under Tools, Options, Calculation; the calc is set to manual you need to set it to Automatic

or

You can press F9 anytime to recalculate the workbook.

HTH

Indu I will stop procrastinating tomorrow

Hi Swan,

Can you first check the setting of the "Calculation Mode".

1) Tools - Options

2) Click the "Calculation" tab

The two settings normally used are either: "Automatic" or "Manual".

If set to "Manual", you have the option of changing it to "Automatic", in which case, this should solve your problem.

In the case of a VERY large workbook, it can be an advantage to set the calculation mode to "manual", as this will speed up gereral worksheet activity.

However, if the worksheet IS set to MANUAL calculation, it implicity becomes NECESSARY to hit the &quot;CALC&quot; key <F9> whenever you want the workbook's formulas updated.

Conversely, if your workbook is on the smaller side, you (and your PC is reasonably fast), you probably don't require the MANUAL setting. You should therefore change it to AUTOMATIC.

Hope this helps.

Regards, ...Dale Watson

HOME: nd.watson@shaw.ca

Swan717,

Check Tools/Options then click the Calculation tab. My guess is the Manual calc radio button is selected and the recalc before save checkbox is checked. Click on the Automatic radio button.

HTH,
M. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back