Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum for aging

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
I am trying to set up an aging query, to show me the totals for a currency amount invoiced in a date range as a function of the current date, i.e. less than 30, 30 to sixty..etc. I wrote a query to do a datediff to come up with the age. Problem is, my boss wants all the totals displayed horizontally, rather than grouped all the less than 30s, then all the 30 -60s, so I need to have a query as the record source that has all those numbers figured already- HELP! [sig][/sig]

I have encountered this problem many times. There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to create sub reports for each group or to build a summary table at report runtime of the categories and then use the summary table as the reports' recordsource. I prefer the later because it gives much better performance.

Summar Table

LT30
BETW30_60
BETW61_90
etc

So to fill the summary table

Public Sub BuildSumm()
Dim rsIn as Recordset
Dim rsSumm as Recordset

set rsIn=Currentdb.Openrecordset("YourQuery")
set rsSumm=Currentdb.Openrecordset("YourSummmaryTable")

Currentdb.execute "DELETE FROM YourSumaryTable;"

do until rsIn.eof
rsSumm.AddNew
If rsIn!yourfield_For_Days<31 then
rsSumm!LT30=rsIn!InvoiceAmountField
ElseIf rsIn!yourfield_For_Days>30 and rsIn!yourfield_For_Days<61
rsSumm!BETW31_60=rsIn!InvoiceAmountField
ElseIf rsIn!yourfield_For_Days>30 and rsIn!yourfield_For_Days<61
rsSumm!BETW61_90=sIn!InvoiceAmountField
Else
rsSumm!GT90=sIn!InvoiceAmountField
Endif
rsSumm.Update
rsIn.MoveNext
loop

rsIn.Close
rsSumm.Close

Set rsIn=Nothing
Set rsSumm=Nothing

End Sub

So code to run report would be

Call BuildSumm
Docmd.openreport ...

You can now have a detail report of Sums or Counts.

WP [sig]<p>Bill Paton<br><a href=mailto:william.paton@ubsw.com>william.paton@ubsw.com</a><br><a href= Check out my website ![/sig]

Oops! should have read the above first !

In case you don't spot it second Elseif shoul be

ElseIf rsIn!yourfield_For_Days>60 and rsIn!yourfield_For_Days<91

WP [sig]<p>Bill Paton<br><a href=mailto:william.paton@ubsw.com>william.paton@ubsw.com</a><br><a href= Check out my website ![/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back