Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitcase trouble keeps me from creating a .pdf in Quark 6.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidetix

Technical User
Sep 10, 2009
US
Using Mac OS 10.3.9, I am trying to create pdf files in Quark 6.5.

Each time I open Quark, I get the following message: "Suitcase XT plug-in could not find a running copy of Suitcase. Suitcase XT functionality will be disabled."

I am now hung up trying to follow a Suttle Straus how-to on creating pdfs in Quark 6.5. As directed, I go to Quark preferences and try to modify "Default PDF Express Options," where I am unable to select "Embed All Fonts" under "Font Options." I take it that my lack of access to this option has to do with the non-functionality of Suitcase.

Am I correct in assuming that failure to embed fonts would cause fonts to default in my Quark pdfs?

And assuming that is the case, what can I do so that Quark can find a running copy of Suitcase?

And finally, is there a potential work-around the like of which I can't begin to imagine?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

>>> "Each time I open Quark, I get the following message: "Suitcase XT plug-in could not find a running copy of Suitcase. Suitcase XT functionality will be disabled." <<<

...this is because suitcase isn't running before launching quark, running suitcase then quark will avoid this message...

>>> "I am now hung up trying to follow a Suttle Straus how-to on creating pdfs in Quark 6.5. As directed, I go to Quark preferences and try to modify "Default PDF Express Options," where I am unable to select "Embed All Fonts" under "Font Options." I take it that my lack of access to this option has to do with the non-functionality of Suitcase." <<<

...embed all fonts is on by default and therefore isn't required to be edited, it will be greyed out, but you should still have the tick in the checkbox...

>>> "Am I correct in assuming that failure to embed fonts would cause fonts to default in my Quark pdfs?" <<<

yes, but quark embeds fonts by default, so as long as you can open a quark document without fonts missing (check utilities > usage for missing fonts) you should be fine. some fonts have licensing restrictions and can't be embedded, a warning usually appears about that before the PDF is generated. You will have to replace the font if you come across these...

>>> "And assuming that is the case, what can I do so that Quark can find a running copy of Suitcase?" <<<

run suitcase before you open quark

...to export a pdf from quark you choose file > export > layout as pdf, in the resulting dialog you have an options button, the same as you see in quarks preferences...

...the only things you really want to be changing are as per these attached screen shots:

...and also...

...everything else can be left alone, these settings will create a RAW pdf, in that none of the image data is compressed in anyway retaining full resolution...

andrew

...to add to my above post...

...the suitcase extension plugin is really only for auto-activation, the suitcase application itself is a system wide font management program...

...auto-activation can be useful, but it can also be risky from a prepress point of view. If dealing with many fonts, having fonts of the same name made by different vendors can have your document rendering differently as auto-activation opens the font "it thinks" is the right one...

andrew

...also to add...

...suitcase has been around for sometime, but has, like quark, had a rough road...

...as far as professional font management goes, the new kid on the block is from linotype, me like many, have packed in extensis suitcase and switched to fontexplorer, i have no regrets, can be found here for more info:

andrew

Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Tomorrow I try to make it work. I'll check back then.

Much obliged!

Thank you Mr. apepp for all your help.

For the record. I solved my problem by converting the Quark files to .eps documents. From there, Mac creates .pdf files by simply dragging an .eps (among other formats, maybe) into the Preview icon.

There was no discernible loss in print quality in going from .qpt to .eps to .pdf files.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back