Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjc240e

Technical User
Nov 12, 2004
US
Being fairly new to this whole Delphi programming thing and knowing that I only know about 1% of what Delphi is actually capable of doing for me, does anyone out there have any suggestions as to a good set of Delphi 7 manual's user's guides, help for dummies, or programmer's bibles out there? Is one better than an other for getting information and figuring all this stuff out?

TIA

Of course, a lot of it depends on what you planning on doing with it.

I've found most books and resources OK if you only plan on manipulating standard VCL components, but if you plan on doing other things, I find them...lacking.

I'm sure people will be able to guide you where you want to go more specifically (great site, btw, lespaul), when you describe where you are wanting to go in learning Delphi.

I think the Marco Cantu books Master Delphi n books are good for beginners.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

Go thorough the help examples, there plently of beginers and more advanced examples in there.

Books are difficult to quanitfy, many tend to be orientated towards one aspect or another of Delphi, I have never found one that exactly fits the kind of things I do in Delphi (mostly stand alone none database and one to one local serial communications applications)

If you are starting out then sticking with the standard components is best, in fact you can do most things with the standard set.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

I use Delphi 6 so can't speak specifically about version 7 but I also have found the Mastering Delphi series useful. Check out the following FAQ too: faq102-2794

Clive [infinity]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
Paul Ehrlich
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

As a beginner myself I agree with all the other advice and add my own thoughts: one of the first things I did was download "Marco Cantu's Essential Delphi" at I printed it all out, had it spiral bound and refer to it often.

I also get a lot of benefit from though I find one has to dig a bit to get the pithy stuff. There are lots of Pascal code examples and tutorials on many facets of Delphi programming. Another section deals with components, reserved words, functions, variables etc. Once you get used to navigating around this site it's invaluable.

Like everything else though, whatever you want to do go ahead and try it. The debugging in Delphi is extremely useful. Once again, one has to learn how to drive it and interpret the messages.

JerryAttrick, those resources are both mentioned in my FAQ (a link to which is provided in my previous post in this thread).

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
Paul Ehrlich
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

I've always found Marco Cantu's books good reading to get more into Delphi.

[bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]

Code:
if not Programming = 'Severe Migraine' then
                       ShowMessage('Eureka!');
faq102-5352

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back